The National Environmental Education Act of 1990 calls on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to provide national leadership to increase environmental literacy. The Act encourages partnerships and builds upon longstanding efforts conducted in the environmental education field by Federal and State agencies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations, and the private sector.
To implement the Act, EPA's Environmental Education Division in Washington, DC, along with support from environmental education coordinators in the 10 Regional EPA offices, has developed the following mission, goals, and programs.
Mission: To advance and support education efforts to develop an environmentally conscious and responsible public, and to inspire in all individuals a sense of personal responsibility for the care of the environment.
1) Expand communication and partnerships
2) Educate youth to protect the environment
3) Promote the pursuit of environmental careers
4) Educate the adult public to increase environmental literacy
5) Educate across international boundaries