The book The Blue Thumb Guide to Raingardens - Design and Installation for Homeowners in the Upper Midwest is a valuable raingarden reference guide for homeowners and professional designers. Thoroughly researched and beautifully illustrated, the book is approachable for beginners, yet contains detailed information for landscape professionals. It contains easy-to-follow instructions on:
The plants profiled in the book are from Zones 3, 4, and 5 in the Midwest.
In addition, the Blue Thumb's Create a Raingarden webpage (http://www.bluethumb.org/raingardens/) is chalked full of resources for raingardens. Resources include:
- Enter your sun exposure, bloom time and color in the Plant Selector to customize your plant list
- Project Cost Calculator
- Rain Gardens A how-to manual for homeowners from the UW-Extension Service
- Native Plant Brochure (pdf)
- MPCA Plants for Stormwater Design
- DNR Landscaping with Native Plants
Blue Thumb is an educational program of the Rice Creek Watershed District.
For more information on the book or web resources visit http://www.bluethumb.org/raingardens
Rice Creek Watershed District
4325 Pheasant Ridge Dr NE # 611
Blaine, MN 55449