Summer Director of Programming- Family Programs
Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center
Summer Director of Programming- Family Programs
The Director of Programming – Family Programs will plan, coordinate and oversee all aspects of the family camp and grandparent/grandchild programs. This includes staff management, scheduling, program development and implementation and attending to the daily needs of participants. When not working directly with the family camp and/or grandparent/grandchild programs, the Director of Program – Family Programs will assist in the daily management of the summer youth program & trips.
The Director of Programming – Family Programs has three main areas of responsibility. These include program management & delivery, risk management and communication & evaluation.
Program Management & Delivery
- Assist in the management of family camp and grandparent/grandchild program participants including check in/out, scheduling, room assignments, medical concerns, special events, van driving and clean up
- Be flexible to accommodate the needs of different programs
- Facilitate opening and closing campfire to family camp and grandparent/grandchild program participants
- Facilitate special family camp and grandparent/grandchild program events (i.e. sunrise hikes, night hikes, astronomy, etc.)
- Provide communication with the kitchen and custodial staff about food and room needs.
- Provide primary contact to participants during the family camp and grandparent/grandchild program weeks
- Participate enthusiastically in all family camp, grandparent/grandchild program, youth summer camp and wilderness tripping activities, providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
- Ensure all onsite and offsite trips are packed and prepared for
- Ensure lesson plans are prepared and implemented that meet camp outcomes and the abilities of the campers
- Teach Wolf Ridge summer program classes per week to family camp, grandparent/grandchild, summer camp and wilderness tripping program participants
- Assist with summer camp and wilderness tripping set up, registration of participants; van driving, daily schedule and camp clean up when not working directly with family camp and/or grandparent/grandchild programs
- Ensure that family camp, grandparent/grandchild, summer camp and wilderness tripping staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures during camp programs.
- Provide guidelines for programs utilizing camp equipment. (Recreational equipment, waterfront, etc.)
- Ensure participants and staff follows safety procedures in all program areas
- Inventory equipment/supply needs and report to director if equipment/supplies are needed
- Ensure that program areas are kept free of hazards and debris
- Assign end-of-week cleanup responsibilities for counseling staff
Communication & Evaluation
- Assist in the implementation of staff training
- Plan, implement and participate staff training sessions that pertain to family camp and grandparent/grandchild programming
- Regularly monitor work of counselors when they are teaching programs to family camp and grandparent/grandchild programs
- Provide feedback and guidance to naturalists about family camp and grandparent/grandchild programs specific programs
- Provide recommendations and concerns to directors regarding naturalists and/or counselors performances while working with the family camp and grandparent/grandchild programs.
- Participate in staff meetings (introduce family camp and grandparent/grandchild program, present special needs of the group; go over evaluations from previous group)
- Act as director on duty when assigned for all family camp, grandparent/grandchild programs, summer camp and wilderness tripping programs
Required Qualifications & Expectations
Directors at Wolf Ridge are resilient, take initiative, selfless, creative, high-energy, fun, nurturing, compassionate, and display a positive attitude. They care about children and want to share a passion for our environment with each of them. A camp job is can be challenging – think 14 hour days, 5 – 6 days a week – but directors are ready to work hard to meet those challenges. They’re also great role models, display that sense of selflessness and always put the campers first. Most of all, directors are always focused on ensuring that the campers and staff have an amazing and memorable camp experience.
The Director of Programming – Family Programs must
- Possess current First Aid and CPR/AED Certification. (Can complete at Wolf Ridge during staff training)
- Possess Wilderness Water Safety (WWS) and/or Lifeguard Certification. (Can complete at Wolf Ridge during staff training)
- Possess a current driver’s license
- Have specialized and practical knowledge of/experience in: group and camp leadership, teen leadership and supervision; staff management, development, and motivation.
- Exhibit high standards and practices in all areas of professionalism including: activity leadership, teaching skills, and knowledge in leadership and communication skills, staff management, inter-staff relationship, organization and productivity.
- Be responsible, detail oriented and hard-working
- Be a minimum age 21
To apply for a position, please complete an online application.