Summer Director of Counselors
Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center
Summer Director of Counselors
A team of 4 directors and supervisors work together to manage the Summer Camp Counselors and Assistant Trip Leaders, schedule activities, assign dorms rooms, arrange for overnights and work with outside groups. The team supports and mentors staff, assisting with behavior management and instructing classes as needed. Minimum age 21.
The Director of Counselors provides training, direct leadership and support to Summer Camp Counselors and Assistant Trip Leaders while they actively supervise staff and maintain safe, enjoyable, age-appropriate programs.
The Director of Counselors position has three main areas of responsibility; staff supervision & training, program & camper management and participant communication & marketing.
Staff Supervision & Training
- Train, motivate, support and supervise Counselors and Assistant Trip Leaders. This includes coaching, teaching, modeling, reinforcing, assisting with difficult situations and correcting behavior
- Continually observe and evaluate all Counselors and Assistant Trip Leaders on a weekly basis. Including a formal mid-summer and end of the summer evaluation
- Provide ongoing training for Counselors and Assistant Trip Leaders throughout the summer
- Provide the Directors of Programming with weekly Counselor and Assistant Trip Leader group assignments
Program & Camper Management
- Support and connect with campers; behave as an appropriate positive role model in all camp activities
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities; enjoy playing, and not “sit on the sidelines”, being visible throughout the day, leading transition times and supervising campers
- Work with the Directors of Programming to ensure summer programming scheduling and needs are met
- Attend administrative staff meetings
- Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff
- Maintain the daily schedule during summer camp programs
- Participate as a member of the director team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
- Work evening and night duty as assigned
- Assist with weekly camp check in and check out
- Other duties to be assigned as needed
Participant Communication & Marketing
- Take daily photos of campers and groups in assigned activities
- Work with the Marketing Director to provide communication with camper families via social media pages. Including posting photos, writing articles and emails to families
- Communicate with camper families as needed (i.e. behavior, medical concerns, etc.)
Required Qualifications & Skills
Directors at Wolf Ridge are resilient, take initiative, selfless, creative, high-energy, fun, nurturing, compassionate, and display a positive attitude. They care about children and want to share a passion for our environment with each of them. A camp job is can be challenging – think 14 hour days, 5 – 6 days a week – but directors are ready to work hard to meet those challenges. They’re also great role models, display that sense of selflessness and always put the campers first. Most of all, directors are always focused on ensuring that the campers and staff have an amazing and memorable camp experience.
The Director of Counselors must
- Possess current First Aid and CPR/AED Certification. (Can complete at Wolf Ridge during staff training)
- Possess Wilderness Water Safety (WWS) and/or Lifeguard Certification. (Can complete at Wolf Ridge during staff training)
- Possess a current driver’s license
- Have specialized and practical knowledge of/experience in: group and camp leadership, teen leadership and supervision; staff management, development, and motivation
- Display integrity, patience, adaptability, flexibility, a sense of humor, enthusiasm, and a commitment to serve youth
- Be responsible, detail oriented and hard-working
- Be a minimum age 21
To apply for a position, please complete an online application.