Credit Academy Naturalist
Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center
General Duties of Credit Academy Naturalist
The Credit Academy Naturalist is responsible for the daily teaching, support, and curriculum needed to incorporate middle school and high school academic camps into the overall summer camp program. Topics may include freshwater ecology, environmental ethics, forest management, research techniques, biology and animal ecology. Participants in these programs earn middle school, high school and/or college credits for their participation.
- Serve as role model for students: display maturity, responsibility, flexibility, enthusiasm, and sound judgment.
- Teach and assist with curricula and lessons, in line with the state of Minnesota Academic Standards, to allow students to gain knowledge and background in Northern Minnesota Ecology and Environmental Ethics. This includes both teaching onsite at Wolf Ridge and offsite in the BWCAW, Isle Royale National Park and/or other offsite locations.
- Co-coordinate research projects, offsite trips and professional speakers for program participants.
- Work with the Credit Academy Coordinator to provide written curriculum and lesson plans for all activities and programs taught.
- Participate in staff training and orientation.
- Act as guardian for teen campers while Credit Academy program is in session,
- Be flexible to accommodate the needs of different programs.
- Understand and adhere to all Wolf Ridge policies.
- Provide contact to parents and guardians of campers during registration and disciplinary actions.
- Assist in the support of Credit Academy counselors including assisting with discipline of participants, substituting as an instructor if necessary, approving curricula, and providing advice on job related skills.
- Assist in the management of campers, including scheduling, room assignments, discipline, and medical concerns.
- Provide feedback to Credit Academy Coordinator about participants of the Credit Academy Program.
To apply for a position, please complete an online application