Warner Nature Center Seasonal Groundskeeper
Imagine yourself here. Be a part of something great at Science Museum of Minnesota.
The Science Museum of Minnesota believes in the diversity of our community – diversity generates ideas, inspires creativity and is essential to building a positive work place. As an Employer of Choice we hire and keep the best employees by valuing differences, creating a collaborative work environment, and providing promotional and career development opportunities.
Join our team as a Groundskeeper and help support the work of the Warner Nature Center (WNC) staff and the Site Manager, by assisting in the general maintenance and restorations of the nature center grounds and facilities during the growing season (May – September).
This position is located at Warner Nature Center, located in the city of Marine on St. Croix, MN - 30 miles North of the Twin Cities.
Work Environment & Schedule: The position requires working outdoors during all seasons of the year, often on tough and/or uneven terrain. Occasional work on weekends may be required.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist the Site Manager in the maintenance and repair of the WNC grounds.
• Effectively maintain and repair roads and trails as assigned.
• Effectively and safely, cut and remove downed trees, debris, and brush as assigned.
• Safely and effectively mow, weed, and rake areas as assigned or needed.
• Assist the Site Manager in the maintenance and repair of WNC facilities and equipment.
• Effectively preform light repairs of the buildings and equipment as assigned.
• Preform light maintenance (oil changes, cleaning, blade sharpening, etc.) of WNC equipment as trained and assigned.
• Work with and monitors the work of crews of volunteers.
• Effectively work with the Site Manager to plan site management projects that involve volunteers or crews of volunteers.
• Practice clear and effective communications, and make clear and concise work assignments, with volunteers and volunteer crews so that projects are completed safely and in a timely manner.
• Assist the Site Manager and other WNC staff with special projects as assigned.
• Work cooperatively with WNC volunteers and staff to ensure that assigned group tasks are completed as effectively as possible.
• Effectively and safely, complete all assigned special projects in a timely manner.
• Other duties as assigned.
• No formal education required.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Experience working with chainsaws, power equipment, lawn mowers, and vehicles.
• Experience completing small construction and repair projects.
• First aid and CPR training and certification valued but not required
• Cultural competency and experience working with diverse communities.
• Willingness to be open and respectful of all backgrounds.
• Fluency in language(s) other than English valued (Hmong, Somali, Spanish).
Starting rate: $11.00+ hourly / Depending on Qualifications
The job duties describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position and is not an exhaustive list. For some positions, detailed procedures may be outlined in supplemental documents.
We exist to turn on the science and inspire learning, inform policy and improve lives. We envision a world in which all people have the power to use science to make lives better. We value science as an essential literacy and strive for inclusion inside and out so that our museum and our people reflect and respond to the diverse needs and cultures of our community. It is the museum’s policy and practice to hire and promote qualified job seekers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. We offer benefit packages for full-time and part-time employees.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities