Title: YouthBuild Construction Trainer
Reports To: YouthBuild Manager
Classification: Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt year-round or school year opportunities are available.
Job Purpose: To teach young adults construction competencies to ensure career and educational success by providing supervision, training, guidance and mentorship, leadership and relational skills while ensuring the safe and timely completion of projects.
- Deliver Home Builders Institute curriculum ensuring participants achieve credentials.
- Train, coordinate and supervise a diverse crew of young adults, ages 16 – 24, in housing construction and remodeling.
- Establish and maintain a safe worksite environment. This includes providing safety training to students, identifying hazards, and ensuring use of personal protective equipment.
- Maintain clean worksite, tools and equipment, and keep appropriate staff updated on equipment and project needs.
- Develop supportive relationship with crew members, serving as a positive role model promoting individual growth
- Enforce program policies and take disciplinary action while maintaining established rapport, motivation and enforcement of high expectations.
- Develop, facilitate and assist in employment and educational trainings.
- Teach construction skills in math and residential construction techniques.
- Participate in service learning, training days, recognition activities and staff meetings, as required.
- Transport youth and equipment between worksites.
- Adhere to program funding requirements.
- Recruit participants including interviewing candidates, develop and implement program orientation, and complete new hire paperwork.
Leadership and Life Skills Training Support:
- Support Program Manager in Leadership and Life Skills implementation.
Placement Year Student Support:
- Work with other staff to assist crew in meeting goals, including achievement of high school diploma or equivalent, preparedness for future education and employment, and recognition and utilization of personal goals, abilities and resources.
- Assist with job placements during post programming year including career discovery, resume development, job search, mock interviewing, and other Employment Readiness Training.
- Maintain monthly contact with past participants (as assigned) and provide additional follow-up as necessary.
- Complete and maintain documentation of daily events, including attendance, disciplinary action, youth progress evaluation and worksite project data.
- Track participant attendance and follow up with absent participants. Work with participants when attendance issues arise.
- Maintain and track participants time/point sheets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Coursework in carpentry, associate’s degree in human services or a related field and one or more years of relevant work experience; or a high school diploma/GED and three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Enjoy teaching basic residential construction techniques. Scopes of work will include, but not limited to: concrete forming, framing, sheathing, windows and doors, roofing, siding, drywall, taping, interior and exterior trim.
- 1 or more years assisting youth with diverse backgrounds in developing a variety of personal, professional skills and experience with strength-based assessment preferred.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, positive attitude, and a commitment to youth development.
- Ability to promote individual growth in youth from diverse backgrounds with varying abilities.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid MN driver’s license and clean driving record as determined by our insurance carrier.
- Reliable personal vehicle and valid insurance.
- Ability to pass a criminal & motor vehicle background check.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, twist, and lift 50 lbs. frequently.
- Ability to work in various types of weather conditions.
Benefits & Hours: This is a Full Time, Non-Exempt position. Benefit package includes Vacation and Sick Time; Health, Dental, Vision, and Flex; Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability; 401(k) retirement plan. Year-round or school year opportunity is available.
To apply, please complete and submit the application at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NWMHYSN
Tree Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer