Office Manager 1
Salary $44,113.97 - $65,099.44 Annually
Location (Tamarack Nature Center) White Bear Township, MN
Job Type Full Time
Closing 6/18/2018 4:30 PM Central
To supervise and direct a clerical support staff, to provide secretarial services to a department supervisor; and to perform related duties as assigned. (This is the entry level class for Office Manager. It differs from the 2 level in that employees are developing the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to function at the full performance level.)
The current vacancy is in the Parks and Recreation department and will be located at the Tamarack Nature Center in White Bear Township, MN. The eligible list generated by this posting may be used by other departments.
Tamarack Nature Center is a 320-acre preserve in White Bear Township. Tamarack Nature Center offers a number of camps, programs, outdoor adventures, education, and volunteer opportunities year-round! The Office Manager 1 hired for Tamarack Nature Center will lead the registration system called Max Galaxy; interact daily with the public; and oversee daily office operations. For more information about Tamarack Nature Center visit: https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/parks-recreation/tamarack-nature-center.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ramsey/classspecs. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with personnel rules, i.e. promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction.
Examples of Work Performed
- Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
- Supervise clerical staff by scheduling, assigning, reviewing and evaluating work; providing training and orientation for new staff; interview candidates and recommend appointments; and conduct performance evaluations.
- Organize and oversee the work flow of the office and implement changes as necessary.
- Prepare correspondence by compiling, typing and proofreading memoranda, letters, and reports.
- Schedule and arrange meetings and conferences, prepare agenda, and facilitate when necessary. Act as a liaison between department or division head and subordinate staff to maintain proper communication.
- Design and maintain supply of forms, materials, and related documents.
- Order and maintain records of supplies and services needed; maintain budget records by recording expenditures and revenues.
- Perform related secretarial services for a department supervisor, such as screening phone calls and mail, scheduling appointments, and gathering information.
- May develop and maintain filing and information retrieval systems, both manually and automated, ensure information is readily accessible as needed; suggest new applications based on departmental needs.
- May maintain statistical records and reports relating to departmental activities, to include responsibility for verifying figures and reconciling errors by tracking, identifying, and correcting information as necessary.
- Perform budget maintenance or payroll duties such as preparing or verifying timesheets or payrolls; maintain inventory of office supplies; recommend equipment purchases; prepare checking or processing requisitions, purchase orders and accounts payable forms; receiving and receipting for cash; and maintain accounts in accordance with office bookkeeping practices.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
Education: High School graduate or equivalent.
Experience: Seven years of clerical, secretarial, and/or administrative experience or equivalent.
Substitution: Associate's degree may substitute for up to two years of experience. Bachelor's degree may substitute for up to four years of experience.
Exam/Screening Process Information
EXAMINATION/SCREENING PROCESS: The examination for OFFICE MANAGER 1 will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on the answers provided. A candidate must pass the training and experience rating in order to be advanced in the process.
The examination process will consist of the following section with each weighted as indicated below:
- Training and Experience Rating, 100%
NOTE: Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will pass the Training and Experience Rating Examination. The questions associated with this job posting will be scored and rated and are the Training and Experience Rating Examination. Please be detailed in your answers and do not mark "see resume" or "see work history/application." Failure to clearly and completely outline your training and experience could adversely affect your examination score and rank on the eligible list for this classification.
ELIGIBLE LIST: The names of all applicants who pass the examination/screening process and file a properly completed application shall be placed on the eligible list for employment as an OFFICE MANAGER 1. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for three months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran's Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their veteran's DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
E-VERIFY PARTICIPATION: Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance or national origin.
The complete job description is included with this posting. If you require further information regarding this posting, please contact email@example.com or by telephone at 651-266-2723.