Naturalist Aide – Intermittent (On-call)
Department and Location
Ramsey County Parks and Recreation
Tamarack Nature Center, White Bear Township, MN
$12.84 - $15.25 Hourly
To perform customer service and program support duties, such as answering telephones, talking with visitors about a variety of natural history topics, directing clients or visitors to proper location, setting up and taking down equipment and supplies for programs, assisting with live animal care, selling and collecting tickets; to present standardized interpretive nature, environmental education and recreation programs in Ramsey County parks and open space, primarily at Tamarack Nature Center (TNC); and to perform related duties as assigned.
This posting will be used to hire intermittent, on-call employees at the Tamarack Nature Center. Intermittent employees do not work an assigned schedule and may be called to work on the weekend, evening, and holiday hours (these positions are non-benefit eligible).
Examples of Work Performed
- Answer telephone calls and respond to public inquiries concerning Tamarack Nature Center and other county facilities; explain park rules and answer a variety of questions about natural history topics.
- Assist in the maintenance of Tamarack Nature Center's collections by taking inventory of recreation equipment, organizing supplies, and keeping records and files as directed by supervisor.
- Contribute to the general operation of Tamarack Nature Center by keeping the building clean and well maintained, including setting up and taking down equipment and supplies for programs, sweeping, mopping, shoveling, cleaning, and vacuuming.
- Present standardized nature interpretive and environmental education programs for all ages and audiences on natural history and outdoor recreation topics.
- Fit and rent cross-country ski and snowshoe equipment, collect rental fees, fill out rental forms and account for money received.
- Assist with minor building and equipment repairs and grounds maintenance.
- Conduct user surveys.
- Assist in the delivery of special events.
Education: High School graduate, or equivalent. Education to include coursework equivalent to a year-long high school class in a natural science (such as biology, ecology, or environmental science) or in any combination of natural science topics.
Online Application Process
To view the complete job description and apply online for the Naturalist Aide – Intermittent (on-call) position, visit the Ramsey County website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ramsey. Online applications for this position must be submitted no later than 4:30 pm on Wednesday, July 17, 2019.
Resumes are not accepted as a form of application for this position, but may be attached to your online application.