Naturalist – Part Time (20 hours per week)
Department and Location
Ramsey County Parks and Recreation
Tamarack Nature Center, White Bear Township, MN
$19.49- $28.74 Hourly
To prepare and conduct interpretive nature programs, environmental education, nature themed parties and outdoor recreation programs at parks and open space, and primarily at Tamarack Nature Center; to greet visitors and clients and answer phones and respond to visitor questions; assist with supervision of staff and volunteers and assigned specialty area; and to perform related duties as assigned.
This posting will be used to hire part-time employees at the Tamarack Nature Center.
Examples of Work Performed
- Develop, create, prepare, implement, conduct, evaluate and remediate year-round programs for a variety of audiences using current interpretive and education strategies and techniques for all ages, audiences, and special groups on natural history and outdoor recreational topics; including preparation and cleanup after program delivery.
- Guide subordinate staff, volunteers, community service workers, and youth workers in preparing and conducting interpretive, environment education, and themed party programs for all ages, audiences, and special groups and the general public.
- Develop interpretive materials, environmental curriculum and opportunities for schools, community groups, summer programs and the general public.
- Collaborate with community partners/vendors to ensure programming in an assigned specialty area meets the groups needs and objectives.
- Contribute ideas and content for program curriculum, exhibits, and displays for Tamarack Nature Center building, grounds, and trails.
- Respond to written and verbal questions from the public by providing accurate and up-to-date information on natural phenomena, environmental issues, plant, animal and mineral classification, horticulture practices and wildlife behavior.
- Assist in maintaining the Tamarack Nature Center's collections and its inventory of program teaching supplies and recreation equipment.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and trainings and in the development of nature center and park management plans, strategies and initiatives.
Education: Two years of post-secondary education concentrating in biology, ecology, environmental science, science education or a closely related field.
Experience: One year (2080 hours) of experience developing or conducting environmental education and interpretive programs for the general public, school children and/or youth groups, or performing other similar duties.
Online Application Process: To view the complete job description and apply online for the Naturalist position, visit the Ramsey County website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ramsey. Online applications for this position must be submitted no later than 4:30 pm on Wednesday, July 17, 2019.
Resumes are not accepted as a form of application for this position, but may be attached to your online application.