Title: Environmental Education Intern
(Unpaid-Full time September-December and/or February-May)
Reports to: Operations Director
Qualifications / Education / Experience
● Education / experience with environmental education programs
● Class D Driver’s license with violation free driving record.
● Ability to pass a background check.
● Means of self-transportation during work hours as needed.
● Proof of meeting Minnesota requirements regarding auto registration and liability insurance.
● First aid / CPR / AED certification a plus.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
● Effectively communicate, orally and in writing, with groups and individuals
● Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of temperature extremes and weather conditions
● Withstand the physical demands of the work which involves some lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, reaching, walking, standing, sitting and computer use
● Identify, analyze, and solve problems
● Plan for safety and follow risk management principles
● Read, write, and communicate in English
● Work non-standard hours when the need arises
● Show energy and passion for the River Bend Nature Center’s mission.
● Organizational skills with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines, working as a team with staff and volunteers.
Expected Experiences, Outcomes, and Essential Duties
Environmental Education Planning and Implementation
● Help plan and implement school programs to meet state science standards
● Environmental education practices and techniques
● Work with varying age groups
● Work with students of diverse cultures to understand the natural world
● Implement strategies to train and motivate volunteers.
● Field questions from and cultivate interest in River Bend Nature Center from visitors and trail users.
● Handle visitor and public input courteously and responsively with respect for differing opinions and maintain positive relationships across sectors.
● Maintain accurate records and data collection to facilitate evaluation, ongoing quality improvement, and inventory of supplies and equipment.
● Exhibit professionalism and commitment to the River Bend Nature Center mission, guiding principles and policies.
● Work as a team to integrate organizational operation objectives and actions.
● Positive, optimistic attitude and willingness to be flexible and work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
● Keep public and work spaces neat and orderly.
● Carry out other duties as directed.
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume by Friday, July 19, 2019 to:
Breanna Wheeler, Executive Director
River Bend Nature Center
PO Box 186
Faribault, MN 55021
or email email@example.com
River Bend Nature Center was established in 1978 in Faribault, Minnesota and is a non-profit nature center located on 743 acres which includes maple basswood forests, restored prairies, wetlands and the Straight River. The mission of River Bend Nature Center is to help people discover, enjoy, understand, and preserve the incredible natural world that surrounds us. Through contact with River Bend Nature Center, we envision that people will develop understanding of natural systems and our connections within them and be inspired to conserve and be stewards of the natural world. River Bend Nature Center provides environmental education, conservation and recreational programs, events, and activities for area schools and the public. Visit year-round to explore ten miles of multi-use trails and an interpretive center open to the public with no entrance fees. Become a member, donate, or learn more at www.rbnc.org.