FRIENDS OF QUARRY HILL NATURE CENTER; a not-for-profit 501(c)(3)
JOB TITLE: Weekend Naturalist/Teacher; a part-time/ year-round position
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
To conduct engaging and educational programs that embody the Nature Center’s mission of “Opening eyes and minds through natural science discovery.” To provide excellent customer service that will increase the public's awareness of their surrounding environment and foster the appreciation, enjoyment and utilization of Quarry Hill Park and Nature Center.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Teach natural science education programs, including birthday parties, for a wide range of audiences (preschool through adult)
- Handle with comfort and care a wide variety of live educational animals including raptors, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates
- Engage in informal interpretation with Nature Center visitors
B. Office Responsibilities
- Provide excellent customer service both in-person and over the phone as it relates to program registration, sales, equipment rentals and general park inquires
- Use QuickBooks accounting software to record daily sales transactions
- Balance cash drawer at the close of the day
- Assist in the opening and closing of the building; including filling bird feeders, light vacuuming and wet mopping floors, disposing of trash and recycling, and clearing walkways and entrances
- Assist with animal care as required on weekends; ie: cleaning carpets, refilling water dishes, feeding select animals
- Assist in keeping exhibits in order and clean
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position.However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform.The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.
- High School graduate or Graduate Equivalency Degree (GED)
- Experience as an educator, naturalist, or facilitator of non-formal education programming
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for science, the outdoors and outdoor education
- Knowledge of regional flora and fauna;
- Respect, concern, and excitement for the natural environment and a demonstrated ability to share that excitement with others
- Ability and desire to interact with youth, families, and adults including large groups of children
- Strong organizational and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage work time effectively with little supervision
- A positive, problem-solving attitude at all times
- Ability to keep an upbeat and cheerful demeanor while working as part of a team
- Ability to perform a variety of activities simultaneously, with interruptions
- Flexibility and the ability to deal with the unexpected and quickly changing nature of outdoor activities and children
- Degree in education, science, natural resources, recreation or related field
- Familiarity with Quarry Hill Park and Nature Center
- Experience as an educator, program staff, naturalist or related position at a nature center, residential outdoor education facility or similar facility
- Demonstrated initiative to go above and beyond minimum assigned duties
- Experience in cash register sales and demonstrated accountability in cash-handling and cash drawer procedures
While performing the duties of the job the employee may be required to complete the following activities: reaching, crouching; kneeling; shoveling; working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; standing for the majority of scheduled shift; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back. Must be able to lift 50 lbs and push/pull 75 lbs.
While performing the duties of the job the employee is frequently required to work in outdoor weather conditions being exposed to hot and cold temperatures, precipitation, direct sunlight, dust, and pollen. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position requires a minimum of two weekend days per month
Weekend hours are typically Saturday 8:30am – 5:30pm (9 hours) or Sunday 11:30am – 5:30pm (6 hours);
occasionally hours are shifted to fit the days scheduled programs.
There is an opportunity to add additional weekend days and hours during special events and programs
This position is offered by the Friends of Quarry Hill Nature Center, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Starting pay for this position will be between $13.75-15.50/hr. depending upon experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMELINE
To apply submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your skills, experiences and qualifications as required by this position. Applicants must submit both in order to be considered.
Applications can be sent via email to: quarryhill@QHNC.org or via mail to:
Quarry Hill Nature Center
Attn: Executive Director
701 Silver Creek Rd. NE
Rochester, MN 55906
Applications received by Jan.7 will be given primary consideration. Position will be posted until filled.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of relevant experience and qualifications.
Final appointment is contingent upon the applicant passing a background investigation including a criminal history search.
This position is posted at: http://www.QHNC.org/employment.html