Job Description – Summer Nature Camp Instructor
Summer nature camp instructors are responsible for leading and implementing Quarry Hill curriculum and experiences for children ranging in age from 4 years old to teens in small group settings. They are also responsible for the development, growth and skill achievement of the campers in his/her group, as well as their general safety. A summer camp instructor provides high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for campers that focus on Quarry Hill’s mission of “Opening eyes and minds through natural science discovery”.
The 2018 Summer Nature Camp begins June 11th and ends on August 17th.
There is no camp the week of the 4th of July
The normal work week for full time summer staff is 35 hours, Monday – Friday; 8:15am - 3:45pm
There are some part-time (half day M-F) options as well
Pay is dependent on qualifications and experiences.
- Organize and lead a variety of small group activities as developed by Quarry Hill staff. Activities may include hiking, nature explorations, crafts, games, canoeing, rock climbing, fishing, etc.
- Complete other assigned operational tasks before and after camp such as cleaning and room preparation
- Provide fun and educational experiences in the outdoors for all campers
- Identify and respond to camper behavioral issues
- Communicate with parents regarding camper’s experiences and daily activities
- Report camper concerns to the lead program teacher, summer camp coordinator or executive director
- Oversee and mentor a high school assistant each week and complete an evaluation of their work
- Know and understand all emergency procedures associated with the camp program
- Know, enforce and follow all safety guidelines as outlined by Quarry Hill Nature Center
- College education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Preferably college course work in the natural sciences
- Current First Aid certification or the ability to obtain certification upon hire
- Ability to lead and implement Quarry Hill program curriculum and activities
- Ability to maintain an upbeat & positive attitude all summer with campers and co-workers
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Strong organizational and communication skills
Download and print the PDF version of the application from our website: http://www.qhnc.org/employment.html
Print & Mail application to:
Quarry Hill Nature Center
Attn: Executive Director
701 Silver Creek Rd. NE
Rochester, MN 55906
-or- Email application to: pameyer@QHNC.org
Application deadline: Until positions are filled
Questions about the summer nature camp program?
Contact: Pamela Meyer pameyer@QHNC.org