POSITION TITLE: Water Resources Intern (2 positions available)
SALARY: $11 per hour
HOURS: 30-40 hours per week
TERM: Summer position, flexible start and end date
400 hours total commitment
LOCATION: Prior Lake – Spring Lake Watershed District, 4646 Dakota Street SE, Prior Lake, MN 55372
DEADLINE: Applications received by March 10, 2019 will be given priority.
Rolling applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume directly to Kathryn Keller-Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the email subject line.
The Water Resources Intern will monitor the District’s conservation easements; support the District’s education and outreach efforts to the public; complete water quality monitoring and project maintenance activities; and assist with erosion and sediment control site inspections.
In addition, the intern will have the option of pursuing a special project of their choice that matches their interests and benefits the District’s programs. The Water Resources Intern will also perform some other tasks as necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor conservation easements (50%)
- Send out pre- and post-inspection letters and outreach materials to landowners.
- Perform conservation easement site inspections.
- Complete monitoring reports, including photos and maps.
- Install signs to mark easement boundaries.
- Prepare baseline documentation reports.
- Education & outreach activities (20%)
Activities may include one or more of the following:
- Complete website updates, including interactive GIS mapping application.
- Update District social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter).
- Create Esri Story Maps for District projects & programs.
- Develop newsletters, fact sheets, articles etc.
- Assist in planning and implementing open houses and other public events.
- Design outdoor educational signage as needed.
- Create a display for and staff booths at local events.
- Identify and photograph native plants throughout the season.
- Create a video to highlight District projects & programs.
- Water Quality Monitoring & Project Assistance (15%)
- Assist with BioBase vegetation mapping on lakes and wetlands.
- Assist with tracking, tagging & other carp management activities.
- Collect water samples for lake water quality testing as needed.
- Assist with stream flow measurements.
- Complete project maintenance activities as necessary:
- Maintaining iron-enhanced sand filters
- Seeding and weeding restoration areas
- Removing debris from outlets and culverts to maintain free-flow conditions
- Take rain gauge and lake level readings.
- Assist with data entry, as needed.
- Assist with erosion and sediment control inspections (10%)
- Perform field inspections with staff to ensure compliance with District and MPCA regulations regarding erosion and sediment control.
- Help complete inspections forms, including photos and maps.
- Other duties (5%)
- Maintain electronic and physical files for the office.
- Additional administrative and/or field duties as assigned.
- Special project can be included if required for college credit.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Minimum of one year of college, with preference to students working towards degrees in environmental science, water resources, biology or related degree (other majors will be considered); or related experience.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to work independently.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to orient yourself & accurately identify your location in the field on an aerial map.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Comfortable working outdoors in variable weather conditions.
- Familiarity with GPS and GIS technologies.
- Ability to identify native and invasive plant species.
- Experience with water quality monitoring techniques.
- Experience editing Wordpress based websites.
- Experience creating effective content to reach a targeted social media audience.
- Familiarity with video editing.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by Sunday, March 10th, 2019 for priority consideration to the address above or via email: email@example.com. Applications sent by email should contain the position title in the subject line. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Contact Kathryn Keller-Miller with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-440-0069.