Youth Eco Solutions (YES!) Program Coordinator
& Administrative Assistant
Ney Nature Center
This is a full-time position that pairs two part-time positions:
- YES! Coordinator position (up to 20hours per week) will coordinate the YES! program for teams of youth and their coaches in Southern MN.
- Ney Nature Center Administrative Assistant (up to 20 hours per week) is responsible for the overall interface with members and site visitors, office duties and administrative support of the Ney Nature Center Executive Director.
Please Note: If interested in one or the other positions as a stand-alone part-time position please apply and indicate your preference in your cover letter.
Position based from Ney Nature Center in Henderson, Minnesota. For YES! some regional travel required with meals & miles reimbursement allowance.
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate, DOE.
Applications accepted immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Send resume, cover letter and references via email to Becky Pollack, Executive Director Ney Nature Center, email@example.com.
1. YES! Coordinator
Youth Eco Solutions (YES!) empowers youth to partner with their community to create economic and environmental vitality through hands-on learning and team-based projects. Through YES! teams, youth in grades 7-12 engage in experiential learning and undertake meaningful projects in their schools and communities related to water quality, energy efficiency, clean energy, waste reduction, recycling, composting, local foods, and more. Please visit www.yesmn.org to learn more about YES! and the tremendous work being accomplished by YES! teams.
- Mobilize 8 to 12 YES! teams and coaches to create action plans, identify and involve community partners, and link teams with resources as they plan and implement youth-driven energy-related and water quality related projects in their schools and communities
- Serve as a main point of contact for the teams; working with other YES! coordinators to provide educational opportunities, organizing tours, workshops, and other activities related to team projects
- Recruit and retain YES! teams in the Southern region of Minnesota
- Work with YES! staff to evaluate, improve, and fund the program
- Promote the program through communication and public relations efforts
- Other duties as assigned and as capacity allows
- A team player who is creative, flexible, detail-oriented, and able to meet multiple deadlines
- Personable, independent, and highly self-motivated with a sense of humor
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting
- Sound understanding of energy-related and water quality related issues and opportunities including energy efficiency, AIS, sustainable farming, renewable energy, waste reduction, and local foods
- Passion for environmental stewardship, experiential education and rural communities
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships within a network of organizations, businesses, communities, and individuals
- Familiarity with existing networks including schools, business, and organizations in Central Minnesota.
- Excellent computer skills; proficient at using Microsoft Office
- Excellent oral, written, and electronic communication skills. Fluent with online communication and social networking.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in a related field
- Requires a valid driver’s license, reliable personal transportation and insurance
- Grant-writing experience is a plus
- Experience with event planning preferred
2. NNC Administrative Assistant
About the Ney Nature Center: The Ney Nature Center is dedicated to the preservation of the natural state of its surroundings, restoring and preserving the buildings of historical significance, and engaging the greater community in connecting with the natural world on the 446 acres of park land, bequeathed by Ruby Ney and Don Ney to Le Sueur County of Minnesota.
Through innovative high-quality interactive programming, the Ney Nature Center brings generations together connecting them with the natural world and inspiring their commitment to preservation and building their desire for natural world engagement.
Through the guidance and approval of their immediate manager, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for the overall interface with members and site visitors, office duties and administrative support of the Ney Nature Center Executive Director. This includes working in various capacities with other staff members, hosting and facilitating site visitors and program participants, data collection and membership promotions, and volunteer support.
- Strategic Plan: Actively participates in implementing initiatives and actions assigned through the strategic plan; provides staff support for status updates;
- Strategic Plan: Provides content and technical support of the marketing plan strategic initiatives and actions items in collaboration with the Executive Director and other staff members.
- Direct Administrative Support: provides office administrative support to the Executive Director;
- NNC Site Host: greeting visitors at the center and on the grounds; responding to inquiries;
- Volunteer Support: support sign up; training; and coordination of volunteers;
- Participant Registration: providing telephone and onsite registration support; schedules facility rentals;
- NNC Membership: maintains accurate and timely membership information; supports communication;
- NNC Newsletter: gather, create, and coordinate contributions to the newsletter; support printing and distribution;
- Program Information: event calendar updates; web site and Facebook page events;
- Filing and office organizing: structures and maintains filing of office documents and site materials;
- Data Entry & Info analysis: enter data for all requested areas of the operation; provide reports as needed;
- Public Programs: provide logistic and event support for all publicly open programming.
- Previous experience and/or education directly related to job responsibilities;
- Computer user skills: Office Suite – word processing, spreadsheets; data base entry; social media site content development and update;
- Physical demands: repetitive keyboard use; copier and printer maintenance; occasional lifting of 20 lbs items to a rare 50 lb items;
- Very good oral and written communication skills.