Title: Policy Planning Coordinator
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $59,850 – $83,790; DOQ
Closing Date: August 18, 2019
About the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District
The Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (MCWD) is a local unit of government responsible for managing and protecting the water resources within the 178 square miles that drain into the Minnehaha Creek and ultimately the Mississippi River. Over the past 50 years, the MCWD has implemented over 70 projects, conserved and restored over 700 acres of land, and implemented countless partnerships in an effort to protect some of our state’s most iconic resources.
MCWD believes that clean water and a healthy natural environment are essential ingredients in creating vibrant, sustainable communities. The lakes, streams, wetlands, and green space that make up the MCWD landscape create a sense of place that provides a local identity, adds economic value and increases well-being. This belief is core to our mission of working with public and private partners to protect and improve land and water for generations to come.
MCWD is looking forward to the next decade as we continue to implement our vision through our newly adopted Watershed Management Plan. With its driven staff, strong Board of Managers, and growing partnerships, MCWD is poised for continued success.
MCWD has an annual budget of $15 million and employs a dedicated professional staff of 26 who work on natural resource planning, project development, land conservation, land use policy, water quality monitoring, permitting, education and communication.
MCWD offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional development, opportunities for growth, and a collaborative work environment. As a result you will find a culture that supports staff coordination, innovation and execution, with the purpose of improving the MCWD’s delivery of service to its constituents.
Position Description/Summary of Position
The Policy Planning Coordinator works with local, state, and regional entities to promote and develop policy changes to improve the integration of land use and water planning for greater public benefit. The position is also responsible for coordinating with public and private partners to identify project opportunities, evaluate and prioritize opportunities, and determine MCWD’s response in coordination with a staff team and the Board of Managers.
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in the field of natural resources, environmental science, planning, management, or related field and 2-5 years of experience in natural resource management, policy development, or planning, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate must also demonstrate:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, cooperative, working relationships with all District employees, consultants, local and agency staff, and the general public
- Ability to work independently and make decisions within the scope of authority
- Ability to assemble and manage teams and manage all aspects of project development
- Knowledge of planning theory and principles including urban land use planning, economic and community development, transportation infrastructure, and municipal processes
- Innovative and critical thinking mindset with a drive for continuous improvement
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to adapt and adjust in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
The complete job description and application form are available at: http://www.minnehahacreek.org/about/employment.