Minnesota Zoological Garden
Zoo Education Director
The Minnesota Zoological Garden has a full-time Zoo Education Director opportunity in its Conservation, Education and Nature division. This position provides leadership to the Minnesota Zoo’s education department, supporting Zoo-wide conservation and nature educational experiences for PreK-12 school groups, community groups, and individuals of all ages, both onsite and offsite. The position obtains and manages the resources needed and directs the implementation and evaluation of current and new education programs to promote the Zoo’s mission of connecting people, animals and the natural world to save wildlife. The position seeks new partnerships to improve and expand the department’s diversity, equity, inclusion, and access for both customers and staff. The position involves significant discretion and substantial involvement in the development, interpretation and implementation of agency-wide education policies. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage Community, School, Outreach, and Nature-based Preschool Programs
- Lead the development and implementation of innovative new programs that serve new audiences and existing audiences in new ways and broadens the Zoo’s demographics
- Develop, direct and manage education personnel
- Develop, direct and manage education budgets
- Serve as a key member of the division management team ensuring development and accomplishment of the Minnesota Zoo’s mission
- Graduate degree in education or related field.
- Seven years of professional experience in educational program management, program delivery, and curriculum development for a wide range of audiences, including experience at an informal education institution such as a zoo, aquarium, or museum.
- Experience developing and managing institutional partnerships
- Experience developing strategies for promoting and marketing programs to targeted audiences.
- Experience with informal or formal program evaluation, visitor studies and/or audience research.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access with demonstrated experience engaging diverse communities and underserved audiences
- Demonstrated fundraising success including grant writing, tracking outcomes, and preparing reports.
- Knowledge of age-appropriate formal and informal education methodology and child development, including familiarity with state and national educational standards
- Knowledge of environmental education, including awareness of, sensitivity towards, and empathy with animals, their needs and their purpose on the earth
- Managerial skills sufficient to develop and manage budgets and staff for a mid-sized organization
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with Zoo staff and stakeholders including donors, board members, and partners; and with program participants of all ages, including children, adults and persons with diverse needs and backgrounds.
- Excellent written communication skills sufficient to develop reports and marketing collateral
- Public speaking skills sufficient to deliver staff trainings and presentations for a variety of stakeholders
- Proficiency in office software applications including word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and presentation software
- Valid driver’s license
$35.74 - $51.41/hourly; $74,625 - $107,344/annually
How to Apply
Apply online at the following link: https://careers.mn.gov/psp/hcm92apc/MNCAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SC...
Minnesota Zoological Garden
13000 Zoo Boulevard
Apple Valley, MN 55124