Job Class: Interpretive Naturalist Supervisor 2Working Title: Community Programs Supervisor - Interpretive Naturalist Supv 2Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekersDate Posted: 09/18/2019Closing Date: 10/09/2019Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Zoological Garden / Zoological Gardens-MMADivision/Unit: Education / Education OfficeWork Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift / TBDDays of Work: Monday through Friday (1-2 weekend days a month)Travel Required: YesSalary Range: $24.79 - $35.91/hourly; $51,761 - $74,980/annuallyClassified Status: ClassifiedBargaining Unit/Union: 216 - Middle Management Association/MMAFLSA Status: Exempt - Executive
Job Summary Job Summary
This position is responsible for coordinating, supervising and administering all of the Minnesota Zoo’s Community Programs including but not limited to Zoo Camp, family programs, early childhood programs and overnight programs. There is a significant amount of time committed to the supervision and development of staff as well as the design and implementation of new programs that increase access for traditionally underserved populations. This position is responsible for ensuring all programs promote the importance of conservation and nature, and the Minnesota Zoo’s mission of connecting people, animals and the natural world to save wildlife.
- Manage the implementation, maintenance, promotion and evaluation of Community Programs to ensure updated, relevant and innovative programs that support the Zoo’s vision to be a major environmental education center and trusted source for conservation and nature education.
- Design and lead implementation of innovative new programs that maximize effectiveness, appeal and earned revenue; expand reach for new audiences and under-represented populations; and are aligned with the Zoo’s vision around conservation and nature education.
- Develop, direct and supervise education program personnel so that staff are skilled and available as needed, collective bargaining agreements and Minnesota Zoo policies and procedures are implemented and appropriately enforced, programs are staffed correctly to meet deadlines and stay within budget, and the Minnesota Zoo’s mission and education department’s goals and objectives are effectively supported.
- Develop and manage Community Program budgets ensuring all expenses incurred most effectively support the Minnesota Zoo’s mission and are available and within budgetary limits and all money is received and paid in compliance with all State and Zoo policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of the organization as a viable business partner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, life science or related field
- Minimum of four years of experience at an informal institution such as a zoo, aquarium or museum including program management, curriculum development and program delivery
- Minimum of three years’ experience supervising staff and preparing and managing budgets
- Experience building expense and revenue budgets, managing expenses and purchasing, and tracking revenue goals
- Experience developing and implementing evaluation tools and strategies to measure program effectiveness and impact
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access with demonstrated experience engaging diverse communities and underserved audiences
- Demonstrated knowledge of and proven experience in environmental, science, conservation experiential and/or outdoor learning theory and methodology
- Knowledge of zoology, biology, life and environmental sciences, conservation, wildlife biology, and sustainability issues, including awareness of, sensitivity toward, and empathy with animals, their needs and their purpose on the earth
- Superior oral and written communication skills sufficient to develop and deliver education materials, group presentations, and marketing tools and strategies.
- Excellent interpretation, teaching, and presentation skills sufficient to deliver educational and engaging community outreach, public engagement, or educational programs in a non-formal environment
- Current valid driver’s license
- Experience designing and delivering animal and conservation-based programs specifically in a zoo environment
- Significant experience working with diverse populations
- Significant experience working with teens and young adults
- Experience with ambassador animal handling and/or training, including public engagement experiences and attention to animal welfare best practices
- Experience in event planning
- Fluent in a second language, such as Spanish, Hmong, ASL, etc.
Flexible availability including weekdays, weekends, evenings, early mornings and overnights
Ability to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances on uneven terrain
Ability to carry and use two-way portable radios to communicate with all zoo staff
Ability to sit at a desk and operate a computer for 6-8 hours per day
Ability to work in an environment that includes both indoor and outdoor work spaces year round, with moderate noise generated by office and air handling equipment
Ability to travel both locally and nationally via air travel with overnight stays
This position requires successful completion of the following:
- Must pass employment verification checks, criminal background checks, including, fingerprints, child protection and driver's license.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Elizabeth Bauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952/431-9212.