Minnesota GreenCorps AmeriCorps Member
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, MN GreenCorps Program
Posted: May 7, 2018
Application Deadline: June 18, 2018
Minnesota GreenCorps, an AmeriCorps program coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, is looking for community-focused individuals to serve with local governments, non-profits, or educational institutions statewide for an 11 month AmeriCorps term, September through August.
MN GreenCorps members improve the environment and strengthen communities, while gaining green job skills and networking with environmental professionals. Member activities include: delivering environmental education, implementing sustainability-related projects, collecting, benchmarking and analyzing data, improving habitat, implementing recycling programs, collaborating with community members, and mobilizing volunteers.
Members serve on projects in one of the four environmental areas:
- Air Pollutant Reduction (energy conservation, green transportation)
- Community Readiness & Outreach (public engagement, education, volunteer mobilization)
- Green Infrastructure Improvements (stormwater management, urban forestry)
- Waste Reduction, Recycling, and Organics Management (food waste prevention, recycling, composting)
Term Dates and Schedule:
AmeriCorps service term: September 26, 2018 – August 27, 2019
Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm typical. Occasional evenings/weekends may be required for some positions.
Location: 42 positions are available in cities throughout Minnesota.
Housing is not provided, members must secure housing near the service location.
- Northeast MN: Carlton, Cloquet, Two Harbors
- Northwest MN: Alexandria, Bemidji, Milaca, Moorhead, Morris, Park Rapids, St. Cloud
- Southeast MN: Albert Lea, Austin, Mankato, Winona
- Southwest MN: Hutchinson, Marshall
- Metro Area: Apple Valley, Chaska, East Bethel, Ham Lake, Lakeville, Maplewood, Minneapolis, New Hope, Plymouth, Richfield, Rogers, Rosemount, St. Anthony, St. Louis Park, St. Paul
Members earn a monthly stipend of $1428 per month, health insurance, student loan forbearance, and an education award of $5920 that may be used for education expenses or to pay off qualified student loans. Members receive training from the MPCA quarterly, develop green job skills, gain professional experience, network with environmental professionals, and are paired with a mentor who provides on-going guidance. In addition to developing valuable skills and knowledge in the environmental field, members also get an opportunity to strengthen communities in Minnesota.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Two year Associates degree or completion of sophomore year in a four year college program required; preferred qualification of a 4 year degree.
- Demonstrated interest in the environment, including energy and water conservation, active transportation, urban planning, local foods, recycling, etc.
- Interest in environmental service and community work.
- Commitment to complete the 11 month (1700 hour) AmeriCorps service term.
- Ability to work well independently and with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and lead and motivate others.
- Ability to take initiative, communicate effectively, manage time, organize and present information, display flexibility in service assignments, and display a positive and professional demeanor.
- Strong desire to learn new skills.
- Most positions require driving, a valid driver’s license, and passing a driving record check administered by the MPCA. Some positions require access to a personal vehicle for transportation.
- Some positions may require the ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions on challenging terrain.
- Must not have a criminal history that precludes the applicant’s ability to work with vulnerable populations, such as the youth and elderly.
- Must be a US Citizen, US National, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the US.
Visit www.pca.state.mn.us/mngreencorps to learn more about the program and apply. Applicants may indicate the focus area and region of the state where they want to serve on the application.
Application Deadline: Monday, June 18, 2018
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.