MINNESOTA LANDSCAPE ARBORETUM Youth Education: JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Summer Day Camp Assistant- (Half Day)
SUPERVISOR: Day Camp Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Temporary Casual
Work with small groups of children creating a positive day camp experience and fun-filled nature-based adventures. Accompany campers on hikes, facilitate camp activities within the Arboretum. Assist lead instructor with set-up, clean-up and other preparations as needed.
- Enthusiastically help children participate in camp programming, make friends, and have fun.
- Manage behavior issues, paying attention to the social and emotional safety of each child.
- Communicate positively and appropriately with parents/adults/volunteers.
- Maintain a safe and fun learning environment for campers, following safety procedures and guidelines in medical or weather emergencies. (CPR certification preferred.)
- Set-up, clean-up and prepare snack as directed.
- Communicate with, and support lead instructor
- Offer feedback for improvement
- Other duties as assigned
- Enthusiasm for working with kids using patience & a sense of humor
- The desire to work in a natural setting (mix of indoors and outdoors in all weather)
- Previous experience working with children in community or education programs
- Love of plants and the natural world, and an excitement to inspire that in others
- Demonstrated leadership or participation in team or group activities
- Class in child development or other training related to working with children and families
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or college coursework related to horticulture, natural sciences, nutrition, agriculture, youth development, youth education, or a related field.
- Teaching experience in classroom and/or outdoor informal setting
- Additional work experience related to horticulture, natural sciences, nutrition, agriculture, youth development, youth education, or a related field.
- WORK SCHEDULE AND COMMITMENT:
- Start Date: 06/10/19 End Date: 8/23/19
- Summer Schedule: must be available M-Th 8:15-1:00 on some weeks and 12:-4:45pm on others (additional hours outside regular time may be requested)
- Total Hours: 200
- Pay rate: $13-$15/hr
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter, and references to: Summer On-site Youth Education Team, c/o Malia Brandt at email@example.com