Job Announcement: Water Quality Lead Educator
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking an individual to work as the Lead Water Quality Educator. The Water Quality Educator will:
- Coordinate MPRB participation at community and neighborhood events leading water quality presentations
- Provide interactive water quality education at events to a diverse group of patrons at Minneapolis Parks
- Assist in the development of new water quality education materials
- Coordinate educational outreach efforts to local businesses
- Track participation and evaluate program effectiveness
- Provide leadership and problem-solving for other Water Quality Educator
Hours: Monday through Friday, primarily in the evenings. Requires availability for four weekend days/evenings per month. SEASON: mid-April thru late-May, 10 to 15 hours per week, late May through August, up to 30 hours per week, September, 10 to 15 hours per week. (September includes a few events, plus final reporting, and planning for winter education such as prewriting social media posts, etc.
Compensation: $17.00 plus mileage reimbursement. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. It is not eligible for other benefits.
- Strong organizational, communication, public speaking, and leadership skills
- Outgoing personality able to draw in participants
- Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse audiences in a public setting
- Working knowledge of watersheds, nonpoint source pollution, and water quality issues
- Working knowledge of tabling education techniques and messaging
- Academic training in environmental education and/or water ecology
- Ability to work flexible schedule
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and a reliable car (mileage reimbursement provided)
Desired but not required:
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language. Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred.
- Demonstrated success teaching in event settings
- Previous experience giving public presentations
- Knowledge of interpretive display design
Application Deadline: Applications will be evaluated as they are received, and interviews scheduled accordingly. Positions open until filled.
If you want to be considered for multiple positions from the following list you only need to apply once. Simply indicate in your cover letter which of these positions you are interested in: Canoeing Instructor, Water Quality Lead Educator, Water Quality Educator, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Program Lead, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Educator, Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist, Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist, Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist, Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor.
If you have questions about this specific Water Quality Lead Educator position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer.