Job Announcement: Teen Environmental Educator
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board is seeking an Educator to work with Teen Teamworks youth crews on a project called Greening Teen Teamworks. This person will work in multiple parks throughout Minneapolis. The Educator will:
- Train teen crews and adult crew leaders on watersheds and how nonpoint source pollution impacts the lakes and creeks of Minneapolis
- Work with summer crew leaders and school teachers to lead education sessions
- Encourage and motivate teens conducting field work with hands-on training and on-site education
- Lead each teen crew in creating their own watershed clean-up plan for their work site
- Coordinate pre and post knowledge surveys for participants, and overall evaluation of the program
- Other duties as assigned, including water education tabling and aquatic invasive species education
Hours: Hours are generally Monday through Thursday from 7:30am to 4pm, plus half-day Fridays.
Compensation: $13.02 per hour, mileage reimbursement.
- Experience working with teens in an outdoor work setting
- Dynamic leader who sets the work example for teens
- Strong public speaking, teaching, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse populations
- Working knowledge of watersheds, non-point source pollution, and water quality
- Training in environmental education, water ecology, or other natural science
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a reliable car (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Must commit to entire season (late May to late August)
- Ability to teach in another language (Spanish, Hmong, or Somali)
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Will review resumes as received and interview qualified candidates as they are submitted. Position starts late May.
Please send cover letter, resume, references and sample lesson plan for teens to:
Jamie McBride, Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409