Mississippi River Green Team Site Supervisor
Position Description: Site supervisors are responsible for the daily supervision of a work crew consisting of 8 to 10 youth workers ages 14-17 from diverse backgrounds. Crews will be working in the natural areas of the Minneapolis park system including woodlands and prairies, and along shorelines of lakes, ponds, creeks, and the Mississippi River. Youth crews learn to identify and remove invasive species, prevent erosion, help with plantings, and other tasks that benefit the parks and watershed. Site supervisors are expected to be role models and work alongside their youth crew. Site supervisors are also responsible for motivating their crew, enforcing program rules and implementing day-to-day operations. Learn more at www.mwmo.org/greenteam
Hours: Position begins June 10, 2019 with Site Supervisor training. The position ends August 16, 2019. The work week is Monday through Thursday, 7:30am -3:30pm, with occasional Fridays, 32 to 40 hours per week. Potential for intermittent work days with the crew during the school year.
Compensation: $17.00 per hour. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. It is not eligible for other benefits.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and motivate teens
- Willingness to learn and work alongside youth while modeling expected behaviors and work ethic
- Ability to recognize, and respond in a positive manner, to the needs of the youth
- Demonstrate ability to work well with diverse populations and build a team
- Working knowledge of MN flora and fauna
- Follow directions, complete assignments, and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm, creativity, problem-solving skills, positive attitude, good sense of humor, flexible
- Valid driver’s license (to drive a 10-passenger van to different work sites).
Desired but not required:
- Academic training or experience in environmental education, natural sciences, education, or a related field
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language (Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred)
Closing date: April 12, 2019
Please send a resume along with a cover letter to: email@example.com
If you have questions about this specific GREEN TEAM position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer.