Job Announcement: JD Rivers’ Children’s Garden Teen Crew Supervisor
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board is seeking an individual to supervise a teen work crew at the JD Rivers’ Children’s Garden located in Theodore Wirth Regional Park. This seasonal position is responsible for the daily supervision of a work crew consisting of 4 to 6 youth workers ages 14-17, as well as supporting general garden maintenance and programs. Youth crew supervisors are expected to be role models and work alongside their youth crew. Youth crew supervisors are responsible for motivating their crew, enforcing program rules, implementing day-to-day operations, and supporting garden care and programs. Teen work focuses on food production, garden market events, and healthy eating.
Hours: Position begins early-May starting at 15 to 20 hours per week. June through August up to 40 hours per week. In September 15 to 20 hours per week. Normal work week is Monday through Friday with occasional Saturdays and some evenings. Required Teen Crew Supervisor training is June 13 & 14. Teen crew starts the week of June 17. Teens work Monday to Thursday, 7:30am to 3pm, for nine weeks.
Compensation: $17.00 per hour, plus mileage reimbursement. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. It is not eligible for other benefits.
Requirements / Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to work with and motivate teens
- Willingness to learn and work alongside youth while modeling expected behaviors and work ethic
- Ability to recognize, and respond in a positive manner, to the needs of the youth
- Demonstrate ability to work well with diverse populations and build a team
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting (including during inclement weather)
- Experience working with, and motivating, children and teens
- Demonstrate ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Working knowledge of gardening for food production
- Academic training in environmental education, agriculture, natural sciences, education, or related field, preferred
- Ability to follow directions, complete assignments, and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm, creativity, problem-solving skills, positive attitude, good sense of humor, flexible
Desired but not required:
- Experience working at a children’s or community garden
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language (Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred)
Application Deadline: March 19, 2019
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please write JDR Teen Crew Supervisor in the message line)
If you have questions about the JD Rivers’ Children’s Garden Teen Crew Supervisor position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer.