Job Announcement: JD Rivers’ Children’s Garden Educator
The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board is seeking an individual to coordinate garden education programs at the JD Rivers’ Children’s Garden located in Theodore Wirth Regional Park. This seasonal position is responsible for program outreach, participant recruitment, scheduling groups, organizing activities and leading programs, and other duties as assigned. Programs encompass everything from hands-on gardening and water quality education to birding, native plant identification, and more.
Hours: This is a seasonal, non-benefited position. The season is early April thru mid-October (weather dependent). ours will vary by the month; anticipate that early April thru May will be 20 to 30 hours per week, June thru August, up to 40 hours a week, early Sept to mid October 20 hours per week. Normal work week is Monday to Friday with an occasional Saturday, and some evenings.
Compensation: $17.00 per hour, plus mileage reimbursement. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe time Ordinance. It is not eligible for other benefits.
- Ability to work entire season (early April to mid-October)
- Ability to lead hands-on garden focused programs
- Ability to follow directions, complete assignments, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting (including inclement weather)
- Experience working with, and motivating, children and teens
- Demonstrate ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Working knowledge of gardening for food production
- Academic training in environmental education, agriculture, natural sciences, education, or related field, preferred
- Must be a self-starter, able to focus on prioritized tasks and work independently
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills including the ability to schedule and coordinate group programs and staff, and facilitate multiple parties working at a single site
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude, good sense of humor, and flexible
- Experience working at a children’s or community garden, preferred
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language strongly preferred (Spanish, Hmong, Somali)
Closing date: 3/15/19
If you want to be considered for multiple positions from the following list you only need to apply once. Simply indicate in your cover letter which of these positions you are interested in: Canoeing Instructor, Water Quality Lead Educator, Water Quality Educator, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Program Lead, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Educator, Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist, Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist, Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist, Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor.
If you have questions about this specific JD Rivers’ Children’s Garden Educator position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer.