Job Announcement for
Environmental Educator - Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a naturalist to work in parks throughout Minneapolis leading nature play groups. This is an adult/child interactive program for children ages 0-5 along with their adult caregiver. The naturalist is responsible for the following:
- Facilitating fun, sensory-based outdoor nature play that the child and adult can do together
- Inspiring the adults with easy ideas they could continue to do at home
- Creating a sense of community within the play group, helping families get to know each other
- Preparing and maintaining materials and program supplies
- Customer service and office tasks such as creating rosters and sending out reminder emails
- Subbing for other environmental education classes and programs as needed/available, including strong potential to co-teach nature-themed day camps for 3-12 year-olds in August
Hours: March-August. Often 5-15 hours per week. Exact schedule will vary and is dependent upon participant registration. Programs are offered up to 3 days per week, usually in the mid-morning. Occasional evening availability would be helpful.
Compensation: $13.50 per hour. Mileage reimbursement provided. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. It is not eligible for other benefits.
- Knowledge of early childhood development and age appropriate expectations and activities
- Demonstrated success working with adults and young children in an outdoor setting or classroom
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- Strong problem-solving, organizational, communication, and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills, a positive attitude, creativity, enthusiasm and adaptability
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Must be able to consistently arrive to programs prepared and on-time
- Must have a driver’s license, and a reliable car (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs, hike uneven terrain, and teach effectively in all weather conditions
Desired but not required:
- Interpretive or environmental education experience at a nature center, recreation center or similar
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language; Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred.
Application Deadline: Applications will be evaluated as they are received, and interviews scheduled accordingly. Position open until filled.
If you want to be considered for multiple positions from the following list you only need to apply once. Simply indicate in your cover letter which of these positions you are interested in: Canoeing Instructor, Water Quality Lead Educator, Water Quality Educator, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Program Lead, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Educator, Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist, Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist, Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist, Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor.
If you have questions about this specific Nature Play Group Naturalist position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer.