Job Announcement: Canoe Instructor & Environmental Educator
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a Canoe Instructor/Educator to work at various Minneapolis lakes and ponds this summer. The Canoe Instructor/Educator will:
- Provide canoe instruction to children, teens, families, and adults
- Lead canoe and water quality education-based programs on Minneapolis waterbodies
- Ensure safety of participants while on the water
- Maintain all canoe and equipment inventory
- Drive a truck with canoe trailer; unload, load and secure canoes
- Communicate with group leaders to ensure successful canoe experience
- Complete administrative tasks necessary to document and evaluate all canoe programs
Work season and hours: May through August; mostly weekdays with occasional weekends; hours include daytime and evenings up to 40 hours a week. The weekly schedule will vary depending on park and group schedules.
Compensation: $14 per hour, plus mileage reimbursement. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. This position is not eligible for other benefits.
- Demonstrated experience in canoe instruction and leading canoe programs
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Strong organizational, communication, and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude, good sense of humor
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Must be able to consistently arrive to programs prepared and on-time
- Lifeguard certification or wilderness water safety certification
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR
- Valid driver’s license; a clean driving record and light trailer towing experience
Desired but not required:
- Working knowledge of Minnesota and urban water quality issues
- Certification in canoe safety and instruction
- Academic training in Environmental Education, Ecology, Natural History, or Teaching
- Experience working in water education program and curriculum development
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language; Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred.
Application Deadline: Applications will be evaluated as they are received, and interviews scheduled accordingly. Position open until filled.
If you want to be considered for multiple positions from the following list you only need to apply once. Simply indicate in your cover letter which of these positions you are interested in: Canoeing Instructor, Water Quality Lead Educator, Water Quality Educator, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Program Lead, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Educator, Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist, Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist, Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist, Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor.
If you have questions about this specific Canoe Instructor & Environmental Educator position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer.