Mississippi River Green Team Youth Crew Supervisor
Position Description: Youth crew supervisors are responsible for the daily supervision of a work crew consisting of 8 to 10 youth workers ages 14-17 from diverse backgrounds. Crews will be working in the natural areas of the Minneapolis park system including woodlands and prairies, and along shorelines of lakes, ponds, creeks, and the Mississippi River. Youth crews learn to identify and remove invasive species, prevent erosion, help with plantings, and other tasks that benefit the parks and watershed. Youth crew supervisors are expected to be role models and work alongside their youth crew. Youth crew supervisors are also responsible for motivating their crew, enforcing program rules and implementing day-to-day operations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and motivate teens
- Must work alongside youth and model expected behaviors and work ethic
- Ability to recognize, and respond in a positive manner, to the needs of the youth
- Follow directions, complete assignments, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with diverse participants and build a team
- Knowledge of MN flora and fauna
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiasm, creativity, problem-solving skills, adaptable, good sense of humor
- Willingness to learn alongside youth
- Valid driver’s license, with potential to get Class B (bus) license before start date.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Related course work or experience in environmental education, natural sciences, education, or a related field
Strongly desired but not required: Fluency in Hmong or Spanish
This is a seasonal non-benefited position. Position begins June 10, 2018 with Youth Crew Supervisor training. The position ends the 3rd week of August. The work week is Monday through Friday, 32 to 40 hours per week. The rate is $17.00 per hour.
Closing date: April 13, 2018
Please note GREEN TEAM in your cover letter and send with resume & references to:
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
Environmental Education Lead
3800 Bryant Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55409