Job Announcement for
Environmental Educator - Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking two seasonal Summer Camp Naturalist Instructors to work out of Kroening Interpretive Center at North Mississippi Regional Park.
- Plan, prepare and lead fun, hands-on, nature-based summer day camp sessions that promote high-quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for campers ages 6-12
- Oversee camp participants’ safety and well-being while helping to facilitate children’s interactions with others and their surroundings by reinforcing principles of respect and responsibility
- Provide high-quality customer service and communication with parents/guardians. Build positive relationships with campers as well as parents/guardians.
- Engage and encourage campers in learning and positive experiences
- Successfully implement group management while conducting camp. Identify and respond to camper behavioral issues as needed
- Guide, mentor and support teen intern camp assistants during camp sessions throughout the season
- Use materials and resources responsibly. Clean up classroom space at the end of each day.
Hours: This is a seasonal part-time position, Mon-Fri 30-35 hours per week. Camp sessions are from 8am to 12pm and 12pm to 4pm with prep time available before or after camp sessions. Camps run June 10th – Aug 30th, 2019. Required orientation and training will begin May 29th.
Compensation: $13.00 – 14.25 per hour DOQ. These positions are eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. They are not eligible for other benefits.
- Interpretive or environmental education experience at a nature center, recreation center or similar with a minimum of two seasons leading summer camp
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- Post-Secondary training in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching
- Must be a strong leader, self-starter, and have the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to adapt, creativity and enthusiasm
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to maintain a positive attitude with campers and co-workers
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs, hike uneven terrain, and teach effectively in all weather conditions
- Previous program instruction which included live education animals
- CPR and First Aid Certification
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Several positions are available. Will review resumes as received and interview qualified candidates as they are submitted.
Please send your cover letter and resume to EEjobapplications@minneapolisparks.org. If you want to be considered for multiple positions from the following list you only need to apply once. Simply indicate in your cover letter which of these positions you are interested in: Canoeing Instructor, Water Quality Lead Educator, Water Quality Educator, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Program Lead, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Educator, Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor, Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist, Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist, and Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist. If you have questions about this specific Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist position please contact Emily Bowers at email@example.com.