Job Announcement for
Environmental Educator – Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a summer Seasonal Naturalist to work part-time out of Kroening Interpretive Center at North Mississippi Regional Park.
- Provide outstanding customer service to park visitors, partners and customers in person and over the phone
- Engage visitors of all ages to enhance their experience at the park and promote high quality outdoor, educational and recreational experiences
- Prepare and deliver fun, educational, hands-on interpretive programming and activities to all ages (with the use of resident educational animals when appropriate)
- Assist with educational animal husbandry and administrative tasks as assigned
- Use resources responsibly and maintain clean work and educational spaces
Hours: This is a seasonal part-time position averaging 20-30 hours per week during the summer from June through August. Required orientation and training will begin May 29th. Hours could be between 8:30am-9pm. You must be available at least two weekends per month.
Compensation: $13.00-14.25 per hour DOQ. These positions are eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. They are not eligible for other benefits.
- Interpretive or environmental education experience at a nature center or similar
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- Post-Secondary training in environmental education, ecology, natural history, teaching or similar
- Must be a self-starter, able to focus on prioritized tasks and work independently as well as collaboratively
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to adapt, creativity and enthusiasm
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude and good sense of humor
- Familiarity and confidence working with Microsoft Office software
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs, hike uneven terrain, and teach effectively in all weather conditions
- Previous experience with program and curriculum development
- Previous experience teaching with live education animals and conducting care for these animals
- Demonstrated success teaching all ages in an outdoor setting or classroom
- Ability to communicate fluently in multiple languages (Spanish, Hmong, Somali)
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Several positions are available. Will review resumes as received and interview qualified candidates as they are submitted.
Please send your cover letter and resume to EEjobapplications@minneapolisparks.org. If you want to be considered for multiple positions from the following list you only need to apply once. Simply indicate in your cover letter which of these positions you are interested in: Canoeing Instructor, Water Quality Lead Educator, Water Quality Educator, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Program Lead, JD Rivers Children’s Garden Educator, Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor, Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist, Seasonal Nature Play Group Naturalist, and Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist. If you have questions about this specific Seasonal North Mississippi Naturalist position please contact Emily Bowers at firstname.lastname@example.org.