Position Information: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a part-time year-round interpretive naturalist to work out of Kroening Interpretive Center at North Mississippi Regional Park. In addition to general duties this role is tasked with assisting in the creation and updating of promotional materials such as program flyers and brochures, seasonal exhibit area displays and resources for visitors; under the guidance of the lead naturalist. This role will also assist in the development of new homeschool and senior citizen programming.
- Provide outstanding customer service to visitors at the front desk and over the phone
- Engage visitors of all ages to enhance their experience at the park and promote high quality outdoor, educational and recreational experiences
- Plan, prepare and deliver fun, educational, hands-on interpretive programming to all ages with emphasis placed on development of new homeschool and elder programs.
- Develop interactive nature education activities and resources for visitors
- Design and create seasonal displays for park patrons of all ages as well as promotional materials
- Assist with the development of environmental education curriculum and events
- Use resources responsibly and maintain clean work and educational spaces
- Complete daily education animal care duties and administrative tasks as assigned
- Make lesson plans for each day and to carry out those plans in a safe environment for each participant.
Hours: This is a part-time position averaging 25 hours per week during the school year and 30 hours per week during the summer. The majority of shifts will be between 10am-4pm TH, F, SA, SU. However, there are also occasional evening and early morning programs and events.
Compensation: $13.75-14.50 per hour DOQ
- Interpretive or environmental education experience at a nature center or similar
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- College coursework in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching
- Must be a self-starter, able to focus on prioritized tasks and work independently as well as collaboratively
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to adapt, creativity and enthusiasm
- Ability to utilize design principles in order to create visually pleasing interpretive and promotional materials
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude and good sense of humor
- Familiarity and confidence working with Microsoft Office software
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs, hike uneven terrain, and teach effectively in all weather conditions
- Previous experience with program and curriculum development
- Previous experience teaching with live education animals and conducting care for these animals
- Demonstrated success teaching all ages in an outdoor setting or classroom
- Ability to teach in another language
Application Deadline: Monday October 29th. Resumes will be evaluated as they are received.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Emily Bowers, Kroening Interpretive Center Program Lead: firstname.lastname@example.org Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board 4900 Mississippi Court Minneapolis, MN 55430