Part-Time Interpretive Naturalist – North Mississippi Regional Park
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking a part-time Interpretive Naturalist to work out of Kroening Interpretive Center at North Mississippi Regional Park.
- Provide outstanding customer service to visitors at the front desk and over the phone.
- Engage visitors of all ages to enhance their experience at the park and promote high quality outdoor, educational and recreational experiences.
- Plan, prepare and deliver fun, educational, hands-on interpretive programming to all ages.
- Assist with the development of environmental education programs and curriculum.
- Develop interactive nature education activities and displays for park patrons of all ages.
- Use Center’s materials and resources responsibly. Maintain clean work and educational spaces.
- Complete administrative tasks as assigned
Hours: This is a part-time position averaging 20-25 hours per week during the school year and 30 hours per week during the summer. The majority of shifts will be between 10am-4pm. However, there are also occasional evening and early morning programs and events.
Compensation: $13.75 per hour
- Interpretive experience at a nature center, environmental education center or similar.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations.
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems.
- Academic training in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching.
- Must be a self-starter, able to focus on prioritized tasks and work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to adapt, creativity and enthusiasm.
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, positive attitude and good sense of humor.
- Familiarity and confidence working with Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs, hike through rough terrain and teach effectively in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Previous experience with program and curriculum development.
- Previous experience teaching with live education animals and conducting care for these animals.
- Demonstrated success teaching all ages in an outdoor setting or classroom.
- Ability to teach in another language.
Application Deadline: Resumes will be evaluated as they are received. Position will remain open until filled.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Emily Bowers Kroening Interpretive Center Program Lead
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
4900 Mississippi Court
Minneapolis, MN 55430