Environmental Educator - Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking two seasonal Summer Camp Naturalist Instructors to work out of Kroening Interpretive Center at North Mississippi Regional Park.
- Plan, prepare and lead fun, hands-on, nature-based summer day camp sessions that promote high-quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for campers ages 6-12
- Oversee camp participants’ safety and well-being while helping to facilitate children’s interactions with others and their surroundings by reinforcing principles of respect and responsibility
- Provide high-quality customer service and communication with parents/guardians. Build positive relationships with campers as well as parents/guardians.
- Engage and encourage campers in learning and positive experiences
- Successfully implement group management while conducting camp. Identify and respond to camper behavioral issues as needed
- Guide, mentor and support teen intern camp assistants during camp sessions throughout the season
- Use materials and resources responsibly. Clean up classroom space at the end of each day.
Hours: This is a seasonal part-time position, Mon-Fri 30-35 hours per week. Camp sessions are from 8am to 12pm and 12pm to 4pm with prep time available before or after camp sessions. Camps run June 10th – Aug 30th, 2019. Required orientation and training will begin May 29th
Compensation: $13.00 – 14.25 per hour DOQ. These positions are eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. They are not eligible for other benefits.
- Interpretive or environmental education experience at a nature center, recreation center or similar with a minimum of two seasons leading summer camp
- Demonstrated ability to work well with children and diverse populations
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- Post-Secondary training in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching
- Must be a strong leader, self-starter, and have the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to adapt, creativity and enthusiasm
- Strong organizational, communication and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to maintain a positive attitude with campers and co-workers
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs, hike uneven terrain, and teach effectively in all weather conditions
- Previous program instruction which included live education animals
- CPR and First Aid Certification
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Will review resumes as received and interview qualified candidates as they are submitted.
Please send your cover letter and resume to EEjobapplications@minneapolisparks.org.
If you have questions about this specific Summer Camp Naturalist Instructor position please contact Emily Bowers at