Environmental Educator - Seasonal Neighborhood Naturalist
Position Description: The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking Interpretive Naturalists to work in parks throughout Minneapolis doing the following:
- Lead nature-themed summer day camps for 3-12 year olds.
- Prepare and deliver fun, educational, hands-on nature, gardening or water education programming.
- Prepare and deliver interactive outreach activities at community events, for all ages.
- Complete administrative and animal care tasks as assigned.
- Provide outstanding customer service to visitors.
- Engage visitors to enhance their experience at the parks and promote positive outdoor experiences.
Hours: This is a seasonal position beginning June 3 and running through the end of August. Hours could be between 9:00am and 9:00pm. You must be available for at least four days per week, including some weekends and evenings. There is a required week of training June 3-7.
Compensation: $13.50 per hour. Mileage reimbursement provided. These positions are eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. They are not eligible for other benefits.
- Interpretive or environmental education experience at a nature center, recreation center or similar
- Demonstrated success teaching all ages (especially children) in an outdoor setting or classroom
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- Post-Secondary training in environmental education, ecology, natural history or teaching
- Strong problem-solving, organizational, communication, and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills, a positive attitude, creativity, enthusiasm and adaptability
- Ability to communicate fluently in multiple languages strongly preferred (Spanish, Hmong, Somali)
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Must be able to consistently arrive to classes prepared and on-time
- Must have a driver’s license, and a reliable car (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs, hike uneven terrain, and teach effectively in all weather conditions
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Several positions are available. Will review resumes as received and interview qualified candidates as they are submitted.
Please send your cover letter and resume to EEjobapplications@minneapolisparks.org
If you have questions about this specific Neighborhood Naturalist position, please contact:
Environmental Education Lead
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
3800 Bryant Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55409
The City of Minneapolis is an equal opportunity employer