LEAD TEACHER Application
(9 hours per week, Tues/Thurs. mornings 8:30am-12:30)
The Minneapolis Nature Reschool seeks dedicated, seasoned educators to teach in our Pilot Preschool Program, Fall 2018-2019
Cultivating the innate curiosity and wonder of young children through nature-based education in Minneapolis is the mission of the Minneapolis Nature Preschool.
Our purpose is to empower families to help their children succeed through participating in a high quality learning experience. We also give children and families a better understanding of the environment and reasons to protect it.
We are currently enrolling students for our pilot program, which starts in Fall 2018.
Our preschool pilot program will be located in North Minneapolis at Kroening Interpretive Center, 4900 Mississippi Court, Minneapolis, MN 55430.
As a Lead Teacher, you will:
Work closely with fellow educators and the school coordinator.
This will include:
- Teach and develop curriculum in conjunction with other members of the teaching team.
- Be responsible for the health, safety, and welfare of all children. This includes helping children stay warm and dry in cold weather, managing risk in an outdoor setting and addressing student conflict.
- Adapt your classroom to the cultural needs of your student body.
- Maintain proficiency in current philosophies of environmental education.
- Create an inviting and emotionally safe classroom.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of students.
- Train, mentor, and supervise assistant teaching staff for your classroom in conjunction with the school coordinator.
- Coordinate parent learning and engagement events, along with the school coordinator.
- Plan for equipment and supply needs in conjunction with your teaching team. Budget provided.
- Be the primary contact for families in our program. You will gracefully and professionally communicate with parents and caregivers, both formally and informally, individually and in groups.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and review of the Minneapolis Nature Preschool’s policies, procedures, and activities in conjunction with school coordinator.
- Be an ambassador for the Minneapolis Nature Preschool when interacting with the public.
- Assist with the development and implementation of future programming.
- Participate in the process of seeking and maintaining licensure and NAEYC accreditation.
- Other duties as assigned.
The most competitive candidates will have 3+ years teaching experience and completed formal education in Early Childhood Education. We are looking for educators who are:
- Experienced teaching 3-5 year olds in traditional preschool or outdoor-based programs.
- Dedicated to equal access to education, early learning, child-directed and play-based learning, and the outdoors.
- Creative and driven to adapt lessons to an outdoor classroom.
- Familiar with inquiry-based learning and Reggio Emilia.
- Educational experience thoughtfully managing groups of children out of doors.
- Inter-culturally fluent and familiar with anti-bias approaches.
- Passionate, creative, intentional, and reflective in your work with children.
- Engaging and easily able to communicate with students, families, and peers.
- Excited to get dirty and laugh while teaching outside in all types of weather.
- Able to work occasional evenings (open houses, parent education nights, family gathering, etc.).
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical exertion, outdoors, in all weather conditions and on difficult terrain.
- Ability to stand, stoop, bend, and carry loads.
- Ability to do moderate physical activity such as hiking, playing outdoor games and limited lifting (under 50 pounds).
Required Certifications and Education:
- Qualifies as teacher as per MN Rule 3; BA in Early Childhood Education or related field.
- CPR/First Aid certified (or ability to complete before position begins).
- Anaphylaxis & Epinephrine Auto-Injector certified - Online Course here
- Food handlers certified (or ability to complete before position begins).
- Knowledge of Minnesota’s natural history.
- Familiarity with Minneapolis.
- Special talent (play an instrument, sing, puppetry, bird calls, storytelling, knot tying, artistic, etc).
Job Title: Lead Teacher
- Reports to the school coordinator.
- Classroom location: Kroening Interpretive Center. 4900 Mississippi Court, Minneapolis, MN 55430
- This position is Tuesday and Thursday, 8:30am to 12:30pm, with direct teaching from 9am-12.
- The position is slated to begin August 28, 2018 and end June 6, 2019. This allows for one week of prep before the school year, and one week to close the program. The Minneapolis Nature Preschool follows Minneapolis Public Schools schedule for school breaks as well as school cancelations.
Salary and Benefits: This is a 9 hour per week position. Some additional hours may be required with advance notice. Pay is $15.00 - $20.00/hour. Some paid training available.
Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume with contact information for three references to Alyson Quinn, email@example.com, 314 Washburn Ave N. Minneapolis MN 55405.
Application open until filled. This position requires successful reference and DHS background checks.
The Minneapolis Nature Preschool encourages teachers of any race, color, national origin, and ethnic origin to apply.
The Minneapolis Nature Preschool does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, hiring, scholarship programs, and other school-administered programs.