Family and Community Engagement Intern - Fall 2018
Midwest Food Connection (MFC) inspires kids to eat well by providing educational adventures in food, cooking, and gardening for children and their families. Through culinary lessons in the classroom—school programs about natural foods, local sustainable farming, and the cultural origins of our food—we empower elementary school children to make informed food choices.
MFC is supported by Twin Cities food co-ops and features local and organic food that can be found at the co-ops. In addition to our classroom teaching, MFC also connects students to where their food comes from by teaching classes in school gardens and accompanying them on field trips to local farms.
We are looking for a Family and Community Engagement Intern to assist Midwest Food Connection in exploring opportunities to effect broader change in our community for Fall 2018. This role will involve piloting new educational programs in various community settings such as after school programs, family events, and community gardens. It will also involve sharing ideas for how MFC can better reach families and testing out a few of these ideas to see what is most successful. Throughout all programming and projects, the intern will carry out MFC’s experiential and interactive approach to education.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- Observing MFC staff in the classroom and helping out during classroom lessons
- Carrying out educational programs in non-school settings
- Developing these family and community engagement programs
- Creating a report assessing the value of MFC’s continued efforts in these community settings
- 10-15 week commitment
- 5-10 hours / week
- Willingness to work independently and remotely, as well as with MFC staff (MFC has no central offices)
- Current undergraduate or college degree
- Strong interest in teaching and food education
- Time-management, interpersonal communication, and organizational skills
- Experience working with elementary aged kids
We hope to collaborate with an intern to create an experience that is both benefitting MFC and developing an intern’s interests and desired skills. We will work together to create a plan for this internship that meets both of our needs!
How to Apply:
Please fill out online application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLvxeZ16zS7pU5s_5MErqQY6pznhK_KwTybMnTCr9elHm1dQ/viewform
Questions? Email email@example.com or call (651) 373-9878
We will be reviewing applications in August and getting back to you in early September!