Environmental Education Apprentices
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is seeking to fill 3 apprentice positions in our environmental education and outdoor recreation program. Land Between the Lakes is a 170,000-acre National Recreation Area located in Kentucky and Tennessee and is administered by the U.S. Forest Service. Apprenticeship positions are for individuals who seek practical experience and training in environmental education and interpretation, outdoor recreation, facility operations, and customer service for a wide range of visitors.
Environmental Education Apprentices are responsible for assisting in all areas of operations for the Brandon Spring Group Center, and may also assist in operating the Woodlands Nature Station. Brandon Spring offers several aquatic study sites, a team-building course, an orienteering course, hiking trails, a lake waterfront activities area, a swimming pool, and an archery range. Job responsibilities include the following:
- Plan and lead curriculum-based environmental education programs in aquatic ecology, orienteering, low ropes, outdoor survival, canoeing, and wildlife ecology for grades K-12.
- Develop and deliver interpretive natural history programming and assist at special events.
- Assist in program development, animal care, special interest projects, volunteer activities, and staff training.
- Lead outdoor demonstrations and excursions including nature hikes and canoe trips.
- Interact with visitors on a daily basis by initiating informal contacts.
- Assist in day-to-day facility operations as needed, which may include maintaining gardens, pool maintenance, kitchen operations, and facility inspections.
- $200 stipend per week (non-taxed).
- On-site, fully furnished government housing is provided.
- Opportunities to develop skills in customer service, environmental education, living history interpretation, outdoor recreation, and natural resource management.
- Opportunities to learn the operational procedures of the U.S. Forest Service
- Additional trainings that may be provided include Low Ropes Challenge Course Facilitator training and certification, First Aid and CPR, defensive driving, canoeing, and cross-training at other interpretive and recreational facilities
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in environmental education, recreation, natural sciences, or related fields.
- Willingness to work with and handle live animals.
- Warm enthusiastic demeanor that is customer service driven.
- Enthusiasm for working with children in the outdoors, and the ability to relate well with people of all ages.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to work a varied schedule including some evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Ability and/or willingness to learn to lead canoe trips and drive a 12 passenger van.
- Previous experience in natural history interpretation, environmental education, camp counseling, animal husbandry, or outdoor leadership is desirable.
- Valid driver’s license.
Description of Site:
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is a 170,000-acre parcel of mainly bottomlands hardwood forest nestled between two large freshwater lakes in western Kentucky and Tennessee. The primary goals of Land Between the Lakes are high quality environmental education, recreation, customer service, and multiple-use management for sustainability. The educational activities and programs at Brandon Spring, the Nature Station, and the Homeplace focus on regional cultural and natural history, natural resource conservation, and outdoor recreation activities. Each facility offers a wide variety of programs, including nature hikes, live animal programs, outdoor skills programs, canoe trips, and more. For more information, please visit our website at www.landbetweenthelakes.us.
- Apprenticeships typically last 10 months and will begin in February of 2019.
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the positions are filled.
- To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references to Patrick Holcomb at email@example.com
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.