POSITION TITLE: Conservation Assistant
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Seasonal Full Time, early May through late August 2019
Flexible start & end dates to accommodate schedules
Will involve evening and weekend duties on a 40 hour per week basis.
POSITION LOCATION: Kanabec SWCD, Mora, MN
POSITION SALARY: $12.00 per hour, No Benefits
This Kanabec SWCD 2019 Seasonal Conservation Assistant will encompass a variety of natural resources technical duties. The approximate time split for this position will be 70% on Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) boat inspection and education and 30% on a county culvert inventory or other duties as assigned. The main duties of this position include Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) boat inspection, education and coordination; and independently inventory county culverts, using a tablet and GPS unit. Other duties may include working with the Kanabec SWCD staff or conservation partners on educational/outreach activities, assistance on conservation practice survey, construction or land owner visits. This position is expected to work independently, be reliable and responsible for completing assigned tasks. Will also work in a team environment and in coordination with other conservation professionals. We are looking for an individual with great interpersonal and communication skills as necessary to promote conservation education in coordination with our many diverse volunteers and partners. Interpersonal skills favored are courteousness and the ability to independently engage the public without confrontation. This position provides educational outreach, accurate and reliable conservation assistance under policies established by the Kanabec Soil and Water Conservation District. Specific duties of this position are expected to change as the needs of the District change. AIS training will be provided by the MN – Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Position typical duties:
- Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) boat inspection, education and coordination
- Independently inventory county culverts throughout the county, using a tablet and GPS unit.
- Experience in working with a Geographic Positioning System (GPS) unit and downloading data into ArcGIS – ArcMap is preferred.
- Ability to use mobile devices such as tablets and GPS units.
- Be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Interest or experience in the Natural Resources profession is preferred.
- Utilize Civic Governance principles in coordinating conservation with our partners and land owners.
- Will coordinate a ‘Starry Trek - Starry Stonewort’ educational monitoring event, similar to the 2018 event held State-wide.
- Assist with other conservation staff on land owner contacts and communications, including phone calls, follow-up correspondence as needed to coordinate outreach, education and project implementation.
- Assist in well and water quality monitoring.
- Assist in delivering educational programs in Kanabec County. A few examples include field days, the County Fair, AIS education and conservation tours.
- Assist with numerous other assigned duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - Applicants must possess:
- A High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Possess the physical ability to lift upwards of 50#, bend, stretch, reach, squat and stand for extended periods of time.
- Possess the skill to work with upset clients in a calm and civil manner.
- Will involve evening and weekend duties. This position will be required to work all weekends (including Holidays) except for two weekends throughout the summer. Holidays will be compensated at 1.5 times the regular salary.
- Great interpersonal skills are required in working with the public, lake association members and our conservation partners.
- Ability to work independently, be reliable and responsible for completing tasks on time and accurately.
- Use of Microsoft computer programs such as excel, word and outlook for tracking Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) boat inspections, time-tracking and other reports as needed.
- A valid Minnesota Drivers’ License with a good driving record is required.
- A personal vehicle will be used at times to complete job duties. Mileage will be paid at the $0.58/mile rate.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: - Supply a cover letter and resume to the above address as soon as able.
This position is open until filled. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview. Visit our website at www.KanabecSWCD.org, to learn more about our Mission or call (320) 679-3982 for inquiries.
CONDITIONS OF ANNOUNCEMENT - The Kanabec SWCD reserves the right to make changes to the content of this position announcement without notification and may at any time withdraw the announcement.
Veteran Status: Please include in your cover letter if you’d like to claim veteran status, by answering the following questions.
1. Are you an honorably discharged veteran of the armed forces of the United States or are you otherwise eligible to claim Veteran’s Preference Points?
2. Do you wish to claim Veteran’s Preference Points?
3. If you are disabled veteran and wish to claim additional points?
Proof of applicable military status/eligibility, such as DD214 form, will be required to claim credits.
Please include DD214 form or forward it within 5 business days.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS - Contact the Kanabec SWCD to arrange reasonable accommodations to submit a resume or attend an interview at (320) 679-3982.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY - Candidates will be considered without discrimination for any non- merit reason such as race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or familial status or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.