Position: Operations Director
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Summary: Working in partnership with HNC’s Director of Education and other staff, the Operations Director serves as a naturalist teacher in our field trip and summer camp programs. The Operations Director also coordinates camp scheduling, registration, and logistics. Other responsibilities include: volunteer engagement, campus oversight, IT, program marketing and events. Oversees seasonal ESS internship program and special projects.
- Teaching in HNC’s field trip and camp programs
- Summer camp logistics and marketing
- Volunteer coordination
- Program and event marketing
- Campus maintenance and oversight
- IT and website maintenance
- Recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, and supervising HNC’s environmental stewardship interns.
- Assisting with special events, facility rental, strategic planning, fundraising events, and other duties as assigned
- Collaborate with other HNC staff to maximize HNC’s broad mission delivery
Organization Summary: Hartley Nature Center (HNC) is a non-profit environmental learning center located within the 600+ acre Hartley Park in Duluth, Minnesota. HNC's mission is to inspire lifelong connections with nature through education, play, and exploration. Governed by a board of directors, HNC has a talented staff of full and part-time educators and administrative support staff, and many community volunteers. HNC provides programs for thousands of children and adults each year: from Hartley Nature Preschool (HNP), to school field trips, summer camps and programs for the general public. HNC operates from a nature center in Hartley Park, a city-owned park with diverse forest, wetland and stream habitats, over ten miles of hiking and ski trails, and beautiful ridges overlooking Lake Superior. The 7,500 square foot nature center is designed as a model of energy-efficient, environmental building practices and provides classrooms, exhibit areas, offices and storage areas to support and enhance HNC programs.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in related field; Master’s degree preferred.