Great River Greening
SUMMARY: Great River Greening is a conservation nonprofit that inspires, engages and leads local communities in conserving and caring for the land and water that enrich our lives. Our ecologists implement state-of-the-art restoration, lead partnerships with volunteers, landowners and communities, and help the next generation discover opportunities in environmental sciences. Established in 1995, we have worked side-by-side with 44,000 volunteers to improve, restore and care for Minnesota’s natural heritage—20,000 acres and counting. Great River Greening has grown significantly in its geographic scope in the last few years, but the staff remains small and works collaboratively as a friendly, positive, and committed team.
POSITION: Great River Greening is seeking a full-time Community Outreach Coordinator to engage communities and individuals in Great River Greening’s habitat restoration efforts across the seven-county metro area and throughout greater Minnesota. The candidate will increase public awareness of GRG, conduct outreach and recruitment for various volunteer opportunities, and support the coordination of various volunteer programs. This position reports directly to the Volunteer Manager.
Full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position. The pay is dependent upon experience, ranging from $15.00-$18.27 per hour with benefits, including: health, dental, 401k, LTD, FSA, life insurance, and a generous personal and sick leave plan. Expected to work some weekends and some travel required.
- Actively recruit volunteers for Great River Greening volunteer restoration events (which engage 2,000+ individuals at 40+ events annually) with emphasis on building relationships, reaching racially diverse communities, and connecting volunteers to local spaces.
- Represent GRG at volunteer events, outreach events, and public meetings.
- Research, coordinate, and attend outreach opportunities to recruit for various volunteer roles: Restoration Volunteers, Event Assistants, GRG Ambassadors, Site Stewards, Volunteer Supervisors, Field Learning for Teens youth, EnvironMentors, and more.
- Develop, produce, and distribute recruitment materials (print, website, email, social media, etc.)
- Coordinate with Volunteer Programs Manager, Communications Manager, Project Managers, and event partners on registration, recruitment, and other event needs.
- Track volunteer metrics, manage volunteer databases, and provide end-of-year statistics for volunteer programs.
- Assist in supervising and training seasonal interns.
- Work within team focused on building community partnerships.
- Promote a diverse, inclusive, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
- Other organizational duties as required.
- Minimum 2 years post-secondary education, equivalent experience, or combination of both.
- Capacity and desire to work with diverse groups of people and commitment to inspiring stewardship of local natural spaces.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well verbally, in writing, in a team setting, and across cultures.
- Enthusiastic and collaborative approach to work, sense of humor, and willingness to learn.
- Proven time management skills and ability to establish priorities, problem solve, and balance tasks.
- Ability to work successfully with considerable independence (self-motivated) and take directions from supervisor, team leads, and colleagues.
- Proficiency with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and database management tools.
- Capacity to work outdoors during events, on evenings and weekends in the spring and fall event seasons, and provide own transportation to and from outreach/event sites.
- Experience with community-based work is preferred.
- Experience in outreach within racially and ethnically diverse groups is a plus.
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite (Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign) and WordPress is a plus.
- Knowledge of environmental science/habitat restoration basics a plus!
Submit cover letter addressing qualifications, resume, and references by e-mail to: Katie Brom, Volunteer Manager, email@example.com or 251 Starkey Street Suite 2200, St. Paul, MN 55107. No phone calls please.
Deadline is April 12, 2019. Applicants reviewed as received. See www.greatrivergreening.org for more information.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.