Naturalist / Volunteer Liaison
Dodge Nature Center
West St. Paul
Dodge Nature Center is a non-profit organization operating a 460-acre nature preserve within the cities of West St. Paul, Mendota Heights and Cottage Grove, MN. We provide environmental and agricultural education experiences for thousands of people each year through our school programs and public events. Working for Dodge Nature Center will provide you with opportunities to work with a variety of ages and to present many different natural history, environmental and agricultural topics.
Duration: Regular full-time position beginning June 10th, 2019. This is a salaried position, and includes some Saturdays and evenings every month.
Compensation: $34,000, with benefits.
- Teach environmental and agricultural education programs to children, families and adults, both on and off-site.
- Develop and present environmental education programs.
- Recruit and onboard new environmental education volunteers.
- Schedule volunteers for classes and public programs.
- Evaluate volunteer’s performance to ensure quality experiences for visitors.
- Share responsibility for animal care of raptors, reptiles and amphibians.
- Lead training sessions for naturalist staff, interns and volunteers.
- Participate in seasonal special events and restoration programs.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences or education. Five or more years of experience teaching environmental education. Experience with volunteers in the following areas: interviewing/hiring, training, supervising, recording volunteer impact. Broad range of knowledge in environmental and agricultural areas. Leadership experience. Proficient in using Microsoft Office suite. Work outdoors year-round in any kind of weather with the stamina to traverse uneven terrain on long hikes. Lift and carry heavy loads up to 50 pounds.
Skills and Abilities: Effective teaching skills for audiences from preschool through adults and from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds. Initiative to create and maintain high quality environmental education programs. Management and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to handle a teaching role and additional responsibilities. Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to
Pete Cleary, Director of Environmental Education
365 W. Marie Ave.
West St. Paul, MN 55118 or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is April 19, 2019.