This is a field teaching position. An instructor can count on spending most of the instructional day outside with students, chaperones, and visiting staff. Our programs include field science classes (Bog Ecology, Bass Pond in Winter, Macroinvertebrate Sampling, Forest Ecology), physical skill building (Canoeing, Climbing, Archery, Snowshoeing, Cross-Country Skiing), and cross-disciplinary lessons (Orienteering, Nature Journaling, Biomass Basics, Wind Power, Team Building).
Environmental Educators primarily focus on teaching. The primary audience is children in 4th-6th grade, but educators will gain experience with K-12 students throughout the school year. There are also opportunities to develop and refine curriculum, create interpretive displays, participate in community programming, and contribute to a sustainably managed school.
Why should you consider working at Deep Portage? This job will provide you with valuable teaching experiences in a beautiful outdoor setting. The number of hours and students that you will interact with will tremendously improve your skills as an educator. The campus is a beautiful and inspiring place to live. Client schools and organizations that utilize the Deep Portage program are leaders in their fields. You will find a strong institution that is here to support your professional journey and give you opportunities to grow.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in education, recreation, natural sciences, environmental education, or related fields
- Teaching experience in a classroom or outdoor setting
- Experience with curriculum writing and development of educational teaching materials
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team-oriented environment
- Creativity and organizational skills essential
- An interest and commitment to lifelong learning
- Interest in maintaining a healthy community and work place
Dates of Employment: September 2019 – May 2020
Salary: High quality staff housing and food are provided. Weekly Salary $335.
Email Resume and References ATTN: Dale Yerger email@example.com