Temporary Park Attendant
POSTING TYPE: Open Competitive
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Open Spaces
PAY RANGE: $11.00-14.00/hour dependent on qualifications
LOCATION: Lebanon Hills Visitor Center, Eagan
CLOSE DATE: This posting will remain open until all spring and summer positions are filled. **The first review of applications will occur on or near February 11th.
The Dakota County Parks Department is currently recruiting to fill Temporary Park Attendant position for the upcoming spring and summer season. The purpose of the Park Attendant position is to provide outstanding customer service for the Dakota County Parks, specifically in the areas of visitor services at Lebanon Hills Visitor Center, equipment rental operation, and outdoor education so that the customer can enjoy and explore the vast Dakota County Park System. This recruitment is to fill current and future vacancies.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Driver's License
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
- Provide high-level customer service to ensure visitors receive accurate and appropriate information in a welcoming and timely manner.
- Greet and interact with customers at assigned locations and facilities. Quickly and competently facilitate their rental equipment reservation process, concession sales, and passes.
- Operate and maintain the Visitor Center and rental operation consistent with the vision of the Visitor Center. Keep work area, public area and equipment clean, orderly and free from hazards.
- Operate the rental equipment operation including assisting customers with fishing poles, canoes, kayaks, and stand up paddleboards in the spring/summer months and snow shoes, cross-country skis in the winter months.
- Provide general instruction, information and education in the use of rental equipment and related outdoor recreation skills. Provide trail, park and education information to customers answering questions appropriately.
- Perform necessary daily maintenance on rental equipment including but not limited to fishing poles, canoes, kayaks, stand up paddleboards, cross-country skis, and snow shoes.
- Accurately complete all paperwork including rental agreements, incident reports, daily logs.
- Assist customers renting park facilities for meetings, retreats, and weddings.
- Use computerized rental equipment software and Microsoft Office applications.
- Follow cash handling and daily record keeping procedures.
- Perform other duties as apparent or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
- Continuous high level of customer service.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a variety of audiences.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic specifically about the outdoors.
- Proven ability to work well with others.
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends, and holidays).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows computer applications.
- Money handling experience preferred.
- Knowledge of outdoor equipment (canoes, kayaks, stand up paddleboards, fishing poles, snow shoes, and cross-country skis) is helpful.
- Knowledge of natural history and outdoor recreation helpful.
- Willing to learn and perform other duties.
Work Environment: Work is performed inside and outside County buildings. The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of walking, standing, crouching, or riding over rough, uneven, swampy, or rocky terrain. There may be intermittent exposure to varied weather conditions on the worksite that occasionally necessitates the use of rain gear, gloves, etc. This position may involve driving a County vehicle and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Selection Process: The selection process for this classification will consist of a screening of your training and experience from the application materials submitted.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435
(contact 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)