Administration Center, 1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033-2372
Parks Management Intern
OPEN DATE: 12/21/18
PARKS MANAGEMENT INTERN - Job # 75072.18.001
DEPARTMENT: Operations Management - Parks
HOURS: Full-time, temporary up to 6 months
HIRING RANGE: $14 - $16/hour
LOCATION: Western Service Center, Apple Valley
POSTING CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on Monday, January 14, 2019
The Dakota County Parks Department has an opportunity available for a highly-motivated individual seeking to develop experience in parks management and administration. The Parks Management Intern will assist the Parks Director and Senior Management Specialist with a number of special projects to improve the effectiveness of public service delivery, resource management, planning, and general operations.
Work may include: Performance measurement initiatives, management and administration of partnership and joint powers agreements with other agencies; research, analysis, and planning for natural resource management, visitor services, and capital projects, and an assessment of the organization against best practices in park management. Below are the anticipated learning and outcome opportunities for this internship position:
- Expand data collection, analysis, project planning and implementation, and evaluation skills.
- Expand knowledge of the process of implementing park and greenway capital projects, public finance, natural resource restoration, visitor service delivery, and project management within the Dakota County Parks Department.
- Expand project management skills.
- Expand leadership and teamwork skills by coordinating and monitoring the work of co-workers.
- Three years of undergraduate coursework or a graduate of a parks & recreation, natural resource management, wildlife management, planning, public administration, or business administration degree program, or a closely related field.
- Valid driver's License
- Work experience in an office or professional environment. The work experience may have been earned as a volunteer, intern, or direct employment.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and data management skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
- Provide support to the Parks Leadership Team through research, analysis, administrative, and programmatic assistance in the areas of park planning, capital development, natural resource management, and visitor services.
- Assist with the development, tracking, and reporting of Key Performance Indicators for the Dakota County Park System, particularly regarding the implementation of the recently-adopted Natural Resource Management System Plan and Parks Visitor Services Plan.
- Assist with the management and administration of partnership agreements and joint powers agreements between Dakota County and other governmental agencies regarding the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the Dakota County park and greenway system.
- Assist staff in the Parks Department, or other Dakota County departments, with special projects as required.
- Keeps manager informed of project status, issues, and other needs. Monitors and reports on work progress and quality of work.
- Performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: 1-5
Visit our website to view a full job description and to apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dakota/
An Equal Opportunity Employer