Position Description: Summer Camp Instructor*
*official title: Parks & Recreation Worker I
Summer Camp Instructor positions are available at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory. Job duties include (but are not limited to) teaching and preparations for weekly camps, assisting with extended care, and providing high quality customer service to parents/guardians and campers. The job entails weekday work from June 10 - August 30, 2019 with orientation and training the week of June 3-7, 2019. This is a seasonal position, 5 days (32 hours)/week, with a pay rate of $11/hour.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of camp activities and experiences
- Use age-appropriate techniques to ensure campers have a fun and memorable experience
- Engage campers in learning through effective use of Como’s plants and animals
- Successfully manage campers in the classroom and out on grounds in the zoo and conservatory
- Build positive relationships with campers and parents/guardians to ensure all feel welcome
- Provide a safe environment for participants at all times
- Oversee and direct volunteer camp assistants
- Attend and participate in weekly camp staff meetings
- Extended care duties, as assigned
- Other duties, as assigned
- Minimum one year classroom or camp experience working with students ages 4 to 14
- Degree or college course work in: education, environmental education, recreation, biology, zoology, botany, horticulture, environmental studies, or a related field
- Previous program instruction which included live plants/and or animals (preferred)
- Ability to adapt and creatively deliver assigned curriculum in a fun and engaging manner
- Excellent problem solving skills, flexibility, a positive outlook, and a sense of humor
- Must have a valid Minnesota Driver’s License, or equivalent
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (preferred)
Candidates must successfully complete orientation and training June 3-6, plus attend a prep day on June 7. Some flexibility may be available, per discretion of the Public Programs Coordinator.
Closing Date: Friday, Mar 22, 2019. Resumes reviewed upon receipt.
Submit letter of interest, resume and three references via mail or email to:
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory Education
c/o Camp Como
1225 Estabrook Dr.
St. Paul, MN 55103
firstname.lastname@example.org *Please put “Camp Instructor” in subject line
For more information:
THIS IS A TEMPORARY HIRE.
Additional Applicant Information:
The City of Saint Paul is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Therefore we encourage applications from all individuals including persons with disabilities, persons of color, LGBT, and women. The information you supply will be used to assess your qualifications for this position; to distinguish you from other applicants; and to contact you for an interview. The following information will be considered private data pursuant to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act: your name, home/work/email address, and home phone number. If you are considered a finalist for an employment vacancy, your name, education, training, and previous work experience will become public data. Private data is available only to you and to other persons in the City who have a bona fide need for the data. Upon court order, data may be disclosed in legal proceedings. Public data is available to anyone requesting it and consists of all data not designated in this notice as private.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran as defined by the State of Minnesota and wish to claim veteran’s preference, submit a copy of your military form DD214 at time of application. You must provide a copy of the DD214 to attain veteran’s preference.