THE CITY OF RICHFIELD, MINNESOTA
Announces an Opening for the Position of Nature Center Manager
Recreation Services Department
Starting Salary: $36.48/hr, plus full City benefits. Exempt position.
Salary Range: $36.48/hr - $46.91/hr
Standard business hours (8:30 AM – 5:00 PM), but may vary based on business needs.
NATURE OF WORK
Is responsible for the administration, development, programming, promotion, maintenance and operation of Wood Lake Nature Center including environmental, recreation and resource management.
1. Supervises the administration, operation, maintenance and improvements of the Nature Center area and facilities.
2. Makes recommendations to the Recreation Services Director regarding the adoption of basic plans and policies of the Nature Center.
3. Independently administers the plans, policies and budgets implemented for the Nature Center.
4. Interviews and supervises personnel at the Nature Center and makes recommendations on various personnel actions.
5. Plans, promotes, supervises and evaluates a variety of programs and schedules for users of the Nature Center facility.
6. Performs administrative tasks including preparation and administration of an annual budget, requisitioning of supplies and materials, assignment of staff and oversees scheduling of the facility.
7. Actively promotes use of the area and facilities to various groups and organizations, including schools, special interest groups and others through effective public relations.
8. Represents the Nature Center and, in some cases, the City, in meetings with various agencies and in groups.
9. Acts as the official city liaison to the Friends of Wood Lake Board and the Friendship City Commission.
10. Coordinates all fundraising efforts including grant writing and management.
11. Supervises the development, planning and maintenance of the Nature Center facility.
12. Supports and enforces City policies, procedures, operations and safety rules.
13. Organize large community events.
14. All other duties as assigned.
1. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the techniques of Nature Center management.
2. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the natural sciences.
3. Demonstrates considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of environmental education, recreation and resource management.
4. Demonstrates considerable knowledge of the policies, practices, methods, techniques, tools and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of the Nature Center.
5. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of public relations.
6. Demonstrates an ability to assign, supervise, train and evaluate staff and their work.
7. Demonstrates an ability to keep current with trends and new ecological technology.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of municipal governmental operations.
9. Demonstrates an ability to express oneself, clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
10. Demonstrates an ability to work independently.
11. Demonstrates an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Nature Center personnel, the Recreation Services Director and the general public.
12. Demonstrates an ability to plan, develop and evaluate Nature Center related programs.
13. Demonstrates an ability to work independently and to direct the work of others.
14. Demonstrates an ability to understand and respect the diversity of customers and co-workers,effectively communicating with individuals whose first language may be one other than English.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands that are described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Must have the ability to:
1. Essential functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for moderate physical activity such as standing, walking, kneeling, sitting, crouching, twisting, pushing, pulling, bending, stopping, squatting and lifting materials and supplies ranging from 20-60 lbs.
2. Must be able to work outdoors in all four seasons in an array of weather.
3. Must be able to teach outdoor recreation related classes including: cross country skiing and snowshoeing.
Must have a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Education, Recreation Resources Management or Natural Sciences.
Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in Nature Center management.
Valid Minnesota Class D drivers’ license or equivalent.
Master’s degree in Environmental Education, Recreation Resources Management or Natural Sciences.
Grant, fundraising, and report writing experience.
Bilingual in Spanish.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL/EQUITABLE OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/MFD
The City of Richfield is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee, job applicant, or contractor on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, familial status, or membership on a local human rights commission.
This statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Application forms, copies of this bulletin and additional information may be obtained by going to www.richfieldmn.gov/jobs Only a City of Richfield on-line application will be accepted. Resumes may be included with a completed City of Richfield on-line application. THE CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS IS MONDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2019