(Temporary) Environmental Assistant
OPENING DATE: June 11, 2019
CLOSING DATE: June 23, 2019 at 11:30 p.m.
STARTING SALARY: $ 20.00 per hour
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), temporary, 6 month position responsible for assisting in the planning, administration and implementation of recycling/waste disposal programs for the cities of Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan and Lakeville ending on or before December 31, 2019.
Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (some weekends and evenings are required when there are recycling events).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in the implementation of the city’s recycling programs, including preparing environmental education materials, educating staff on recycling procedures, and responding to citizen questions in the areas of recycling, material disposal, and garbage collection.
- Assist with the communication of recycling-related issues and announcements through newsletter publications, website articles and social media posts.
- Assist with events such as municipal open houses and material drop-off events. Prepare promotional and handout materials, set up displays and give demonstrations.
- Assist with the collection of recycling material and organic material at community sponsored events, and submit reports using summary forms.
- Inspect and verify recycling at municipal facilities and public spaces. Enter data into a tracking tool.
- Attend required meetings, perform other duties, and assume other responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform research, assemble information and prepare reports and educational material.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other City personnel, other agencies, businesses, volunteer groups, and residents.
- Ability to maintain good public relations in handling complaints/inquiries.
- Responds willingly to varied work assignments and training.
- Demonstrated dependability, responsibility, flexibility and self-motivation.
- Ability to perform all essential position functions including physical labor commonly encountered in natural resources field studies and operations. On an occasional basis must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- One year of college or vocational school preferably in the environmental field or equivalent
- Working knowledge of computer work processing programs (Microsoft Office products)
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- One year or more experience in recycling and/or waste management
- Working on a degree in the environmental field
- Training and Experience Rating
- Oral Interview
- Other testing as appropriate
- Must pass a background check
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
100 Civic Center Parkway
Burnsville, MN 55337