Job Title: Environmental Educator
Purpose: Facilitate Nature-Based Programs
Reports to: School Partnerships Manager
Classification: Non-Exempt; Part-Time
Who we are:
With nature as our catalyst, Camp Fire Minnesota energizes youth to discover their spark so their futures glow brighter.
Youth spend 90% of their time indoors. Camp Fire Minnesota addresses this challenge by delivering culturally relevant, nature-based programs at Tanadoona, Camp Bluewater, and throughout the community to over 7,000 youth from all backgrounds each year. We help youth “light their spark within” through summer camp, environmental education & STEM classes for schools, and community-based out-of-school time nature programs.
We are proud to offer inclusive and welcoming programs to youth in the community. To this end, 45% of Camp Fire youth participate at reduced or no cost.
As a result of their Camp Fire experience, 90% of youth report valuing nature and stewarding the environment.
Position Overview & Responsibilities:
As an Environmental Educator, you will help catalyze growth through nature. Through our programs, youth are engaged in hands-on, experiential learning in the areas of environmental education, STEM and team-building. We offer K-12 field trips at Tanadoona, in-class environmental ed., school-break camps (MEA, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, etc.), and out-of-school-time programs.
The Environmental Educator will act as an instructor to teach and support any of Camp Fire’s programs. This position can be seasonal based on your availability and our program needs. Hours vary by program:
- Field trip, In-class, School Break Camps: Monday-Friday, generally between 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Nature-based, out-of-school-time programming in Shakopee starting in November: Monday-Thursday between 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of environmental education with the ability and passion to share that with youth!
- Experience leading youth programming, such as camps, mentoring, or other education (environmental, outdoor, experiential)
- Experience and comfort working with youth and adults of diverse backgrounds and support inclusive programming
- Collaborative and willingness to help where needed to ensure program success
- Professional and engaging with all – youth, teachers, parents, co-workers, etc.
- Strong organizational skills
- Reliable means of transportation
- $14-16/hour based on experience
Please submit a resume, cover letter, availability, and three professional references to: email@example.com. Please include “Environmental Educator” in the subject line of your email.
Camp Fire Minnesota is strongly committed to addressing environmental justice.
We encourage candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds, Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and unemployed persons to apply.