Job Title: Youth Program Specialist
Reports To: Nature Outreach Manager
Camp Fire Minnesota: Catalyzing growth through nature to help youth discover their spark Youth need connections with nature more than ever. With the increase in digital media use and lack of adequate green spaces in the city, youth face an overall disconnect from the physical, social and emotional health benefits associated with being in nature. Camp Fire Minnesota’s priority is to ensure all youth have access to the diverse experiences of the outdoors, in addition to understanding how the environment impacts their everyday life.
Camp Fire Minnesota programs engage young people to exercise their voice and choice, build confidence and competence, lead in their communities and care for their environment. We provide out-of-school time programs throughout the Twin Cities in collaboration with other community-based organizations to offer nature-based enrichment programs for youth, when and where they need them. Camp Fire Minnesota is inclusive and welcoming to all youth and adults. We currently seek Youth Program Specialists to facilitate activities for our Youth Clubs (ages 5-13) in housing communities. Program Specialists work with a consistent group of youth throughout the year, supporting overall youth development and connecting kids to the natural world through hands-on experiences and outdoor adventures.
Essential Specialist Functions:
- Implement after-school curriculum, including, but not limited to:
- outdoor adventures & nature-based learning
- physical fun
- social & emotional skill development
- Complies with agency-specific policies
- Develops strong relationships with property management, parents, and other organizations, where applicable, to ensure successful delivery of all Camp Fire programs and ensure customer satisfaction
- Ensure program quality while leading with agency vision
- Create a safe environment for open and honest discussion, foster a positive youth-led dynamic
- Complete administrative responsibilities on time: attendance, registrations, curriculum, and staff/youth evaluations
- Meets and reports regularly to the Nature Outreach Manager regarding program, site and staff performance
- Conduct outreach, recruit youth, communicate with parents/caregivers directly and by phone calls
- Attend initial and ongoing trainings including monthly all-team meetings and bi-weekly small-team meetings
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Commitment to working with youth for one school year
- Positive attitude a must!
- Experience working with youth in camps, human or social services, mentoring or education (environmental, outdoor, experiential)
- Flexibility & willingness to deliver responsive programming that meets the needs of youth
- Initiative, ability and willingness to seek necessary support from Camp Fire management
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working with diverse populations of youth to support inclusive programming
- Available to work consistently five days a week, 3-4 hours/day between the hours of 3:30-7:00pm
- Reliable means of transportation
- Second language ability a plus, particularly in Somali or ASL
- Bachelor’s Degree in Youth Work, Education, Social Work, Environmental Studies, Psychology, Public Health, or any STEM-related degree a plus
- Hourly wage of $12.00-$14.00, non-exempt, paid training, prep, recruitment and mileage
- 15-18 hours/week
Application Instructions: Please submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include “Youth Program Specialist” in the subject line of your email.
Camp Fire Minnesota is strongly committed to addressing environmental justice. We encourage candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds, Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and unemployed persons to apply