Job Title: Outdoor Programs Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations at Tanadoona
Supervises: Program delivery staff, including summer counselors
Classification: Exempt status; full time (40 hours per week)
Who we are
With nature as our catalyst, Camp Fire Minnesota energizes youth to discover their spark so their futures glow brighter.
Youth spend 90% of their time indoors. Camp Fire Minnesota addresses this challenge by delivering culturally relevant, nature-based programs at Tanadoona, Camp Bluewater, and throughout the community to over 7,000 youth from all backgrounds each year. We help youth “light their spark within” through summer camp, environmental education & STEM classes for schools, and community-based out-of-school time nature programs.
We are proud to offer inclusive and welcoming programs to youth in the community. To this end, 45% of Camp Fire youth participate at reduced or no cost.
As a result of their Camp Fire experience, 90% of youth report valuing nature and stewarding the environment.
What’s getting us inspired
We are passionate about learning from and partnering with others doing great work. We are inspired by:
• The Atlantic and REI’s Five Ways to Make the Outdoors More Inclusive: An Action Plan for Change
• Thorne Nature Experience’s philosophy and approach to delivering culturally meaningful nature experiences
• Children & Nature Network, Outdoors Alliance for Kids, The Alliance and other advocacy groups dedicated to connecting all youth to nature
• Shinrin Yoku or ‘forest bathing’ as a tool for nature connection, healing and well-being
Where we are headed
Camp Fire Minnesota envisions a future where all youth have access to nature – and nature is the catalyst for change in their lives. We believe the well-being of our children, community and planet depends on nature connections that range from outdoor play to environmental education to nature-based healing.
In order to bring this vision to life, we:
1. Embarked on a year-long diversity & inclusion initiative in 2018. In 2019, we are holding community conversations, aimed at understanding how culturally relevant connections with nature can support young people’s and communities’ goals.
2. Are investing in our camp property, Tanadoona. In spring 2020, Tanadoona will have a new Community & Dining Center, expanding our capacity to serve youth year-round.
3. Are expanding our organization capacity to fuel year-round growth at Tanadoona, including adding a Director-level position and a Sales Manager to focus on rentals.
Our desired candidate
The Outdoor Programs Manager sets the tone for a positive, nature-based learning experience for participants, family and the community and seamless camp operations. We are looking for an individual who is a go-getter, who thrives on building connections and community.
An ideal candidate will:
• Thrive on building relationships with participants and their families
• Innovative in engaging youth in FUN, hands-on, nature-based learning
• Curious, with a drive for continuous improvement
• Visionary and goal oriented
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in youth development and running a large-scale camp and camp program
Your role at Camp Fire
1. Outdoor Programs at Tanadoona a. Responsible for the innovative development, delivery, and evaluation of year-round outdoor programs, including summer camp, school-break camps, Teen Outdoor Leaders, etc.
b. Responsible for achieving annual earned revenue and participation goals
c. Ensure compliance with all ACA standards and lead the re-accreditation process every five years
d. Participate in the development and implementation of marketing and outreach efforts to increase participation and revenue in partnership with the Marketing Department
e. Create a welcoming, vibrant environment through community outreach, such as participating in local initiatives, community events and collaborations as appropriate
f. Responsible for the supervision of program staff. May need to perform direct delivery of program if staffing needs are not met
g. Demonstrate a commitment to an inclusive, accessible and welcoming experience for participants and families
h. Continuously refreshing and reimagining how we program
2. Administration and Staffing a. Conduct annual review of all risk management policies and procedures, including participant safety, ACA, staff training, facilities management, insurance, etc.
b. Manage all aspects of HR of seasonal staff in partnership with the Director of Operations. This includes recruiting, hiring, training, and supervising.
c. Manage purchasing, such as camp store merchandise, food (in collaboration with cooks), and program supplies.
d. In collaboration with the Registrar manage the camp database system, Active.
3. Program Quality a. Implement procedures to ensure staff and program evaluation
b. In collaboration with the Registrar and Data Specialist, collect participant and family surveys, respond as needed, and modify program delivery based on outcomes
4. Program Expansion a. Support program growth at Tanadoona as utilization expands year-round
b. Partner with Operations and Marketing Departments to insights that inform program opportunities
5. Marketing a. Collaborate with Marketing Department to develop communications content
b. Participate in the development and implementation of marketing strategies to increase participation and revenue
6. Budget a. In coordination with your supervisor, create and manage a budget for outdoor programs, balancing financial sustainability and access through financial assistance.
b. Monitor spending and revenue; and adjust accordingly.
This position is required to live on the property (3300 Tanadoona Drive, Excelsior, MN 55331) in the Director’s Cabin from mid-May through mid-September, in order to accommodate our summer camp season. Option to live on the property year-round.*
Salary and Benefits
Salary range $51,000 - $56,000, based on experience. Competitive benefits package, including 3% retirement contribution and sabbatical policy.
* Option to live on the property year-round: Salary range $41,000 - $46,000, based on experience.
Please submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Outdoor Programs Manager” in the subject line of your email.
For more information visit our website at: https://campfiremn.org/get-involved/employment/
Camp Fire Minnesota is strongly committed to addressing environmental justice.
We encourage candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds, Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and unemployed persons to apply.